298 S State St in Mt Pleasant, Utah
This fine brick home with stone foundation was built in 1897 by James Larsen, for his wife Eliza Tidwell. It has two exterior balconies supported by stone columns and an abundance of gingerbread. This house is Victorian with Queen Anne features, including the corner tower, entry portico and multiple roof shapes, as well as bay window, stained-glass window, and leaded pane windows. Perhaps designed by Watkins or Kletting, the home has high ceilings and hardwood floors. A hand-rubbed cherry wood fireplace stands out, as well as a hand-carved oak banister. The parlor has hand-painted ceilings with an elaborate light fixture, created and painted by a Danish painter named Andersen.
James Larsen was a sheep rancher who served as LDS bishop in Mt. Pleasant. Many church leaders and state government officials stayed in this home. His grandchildren remember sitting in the parlor and listening to the Victrola or waiting while Grandma Larsen cooked Thanksgiving dinner. They still visit the home to reminisce. A huge tin bathtub sat in the area now used as a kitchen; the Larsen’s were one of the first families to have a built-in bathtub. The Larsens raised four daughters here and owned the home until they died. Dennis Andelin had a photography studio for 20 years here and ran a bed and breakfast with his wife. It is now a private residence.(*)