The Thomas Yardley House, built in 1891, (NHRP# 83003961) is architecturally and historically significant as one of the ten remaining houses that were original to Perkins’ Addition subdivision, the most visually cohesive example of a streetcar subdivision in Salt Lake City. Streetcar Subdivisions played a major role in the transformation of the land south of the original city from agricultural to residential use in the 1890s, and Perkins’ Addition was considered the standard of subdivision excellence. The Yardley House, as one of seven houses in Perkins’ Addition which are variants of one house pattern, documents a significant process in suburban development the use of standardized plans that could be varied to accommodate individual preferences. Additionally, this house pattern, distinguished by its gable facade and double porch entry, is unique in Salt Lake City, having originated in Colorado.
The Thomas Yardley House at 955 East Logan Avenue was built in 1891 as one of the thirteen large, brick houses constructed in Perkins’ Addition subdivision by Metropolitan Investment Company. Thomas and Katherine H. Yardley apparently contracted with Metropolitan Investment Company to have this house built in the spring of 1891, and in June they received title to the property for a consideration of $6000.
The Yardleys had come to Salt Lake City in the latter part of 1890 or in the
early part of 1891 and may have been one of several families induced to the
city and to Perkins 1 Addition by Gilbert L, Chamberlin, vice-president and
general manager of Metropolitan Investment Company. The Yardleys, who lived in this house until 1903, were one of the few original occupants of the
Perkins’ Addition houses to remain in the area for more than just a few
years. After moving to Salt lake City, Thomas began working as a clerk in the Salt Lake County Recorder’s Office, although, at age 63, he was probably
reasonably secure, financially. He later became Involved in real estate, but
continued as a clerk, apparently for various businesses, until his death on
February 13, 1903 at age 75. Katherine and several of her seven children
continued to live in this house until December of that same year, when she
sold the house to Mosiah and Rosa A. Hall. The Yardleys apparently moved out of the area after selling the house.
Mosiah Hall, a teacher at IDS university (74-76 N. Main), lived in this house
only until 1908, when he and his family moved to 252 Catherine (Douglas
Street), near the University of Utah, where he was teaching. He also served
as president of the Inter-mountain School of Correspondence located downtown in the Constitution Building. (34 South Main).
Ezra T. and Jennie H. Lloyd bought the house in 1908 from the Halls and moved here from 861 East 500 South. Ezra was manager of Ensign Knitting Works, later Cache Knitting Works and Utah Woolen Mills. A materials lien on the property by Granite Lumber in 1915 suggests that the front porch alterations were made at that time. Those alterations include the addition of the heavy porch columns and balusters, which are on the porch today, and the removal of an open second-story porch section that extended across the upper facade. The Lloyds sold this house in 1920 and moved to 378 South 1300 East.
Tophel N. and Olive L. Bryant, who bought the house in 1920, did not move in until about 1923, but lived here for all but one of the next eighteen years.
(In 1927 they lived at 1136 Gilmer.) Tophel was president of Occidental Seed
Company. The Bryants tented out the house for three years before selling it
Owners of the house from 1944 to 1946 were Paul and Hildegard (Hilda) Walter. They sold it in 1946 to John E. and Marie C. Fisher, who lived here only one year before selling it to Benjamin W. and Marguerite M. Reese. Mr. Reese was a carrier for the Post Office.
Alden C. Snell, a city policeman, and his wife, Ella L., bought the house in
1954 and are the current owners. Around 1973, the Snells moved to Granger and divided this house into two apartments.