Tags

, , ,

Nebecker Grove, one of two interlaced groves along Peteetneet Creek was the location of the first pioneer camp at Peteetneet (Payson).

Named after Ammon Nebecker, Sr. whose home stood just outside the fort at its northwest corner, now 400 North and 400 West, Nebecker was one of the first trustees on the school board of Payson and had one of the first quadrant schools, built in 1863, named for him. It was called the Nebecker or Rock School.

This grove of century old trees, campsite of early Indians and site of early Payson celebrations was torn down to make way for the freeway in 1965.

Related: