The Benjamin Cemetery isn’t big but it has some pioneer graves and a great view from up on a hill.
The Payson Exchange Savings Bank was opened in April of 1890 in a new two-story building located on the southeast corner of Main Street and Utah Avenue. Since the bank did not have the proper license to operate at that time, it was forced to close until the following year. It was not granted a license to operate until January 1891. The bank advertised that it could transact a general banking business, forward money to any part of the United States, Mexico, or Europe at the lowest possible rates.
In 1924, after more than thirty years in business, the Payson Exchange Bank failed and closed its doors. In 1927, Payson City purchased the building and established a city office complex. The City Library was moved from the Hancock Building located a block north of the old bank building. The library occupied the main west portion of the bank. The City Council Chamber was located on the second floor above the library
The City Offices were moved from the old City Hall across the street west of the City Park to the east rooms of the bank building. The offices had their own entrance located on Utah Avenue. The city police and a jail were located adjacent to the city offices. R. W. McMullin, attorney-at-law occupied the rooms above the city offices.
The bank building housed the library and city offices until the early 1980’s when they were moved to the new city complex located in the newly remodeled Payson City Hospital building located on West Utah Avenue.(*)
It is now Eli’s Old Fashioned Ice Cream and Soda Shop, an awesome place that not only has great food and ice cream but is fun to sit in and look around at the old bank vault, windows, woodwork and more.
The old historic Peteetneet School on a hill in Payson, Utah.
Prior to serving as a museum and cultural arts center, the Peteetneet School or Peteetneet Academy was erected in 1901. The architectural design combines both Victorian and Romanesque Revival architecture and was done by Richard C. Watkins, who designed many other schools through Utah and Sanpete counties. The Victorian belfry makes this school more flamboyant than other prominent schools designed by Watkins such as the Maeser School or Old Spring City School. The building served as an academy and then elementary school until 1989 when Payson City planned to demolish the building. A group of concerned citizens formed People Preserving Peteetneet and were instrumental in saving and restoring the school. Since the building is located on the Nebo Loop Scenic Byway, the Utah Department of Transportation awarded over $100,000 to assist in the restoration. The building was transformed into a museum and civic center. A glass elevator was added in 2008. The building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since May 30, 1990.
The temple was announced on January 25, 2010, by church president Thomas S. Monson. The temple is located on the southernmost edge of Utah’s Wasatch Front, and is the 15th dedicated temple in the state. The Provo City Center and Cedar City temples, both under construction, will bring the total to 17 when they are completed.
Dallin H. Oaks presided at the groundbreaking ceremony on October 8, 2011.
Several of the towns in Utah started out as forts as protection for the people, many of those have the location of the fort marked, some of those have the location of the corners of the forts marked. Here are the markers placed to mark where the corners of the Payson Fort was.
The Main Gate: N 40° 02.629 W 111° 43.774
This road has remained open since 1853. Just inside was a stagecoach inn & Pony Express station which operated until the telegraph came in 1861. Alexander Keele, while on voluntary guard duty, was killed on 18 July 1853 by Indians as they left the Fort.
The Southeast Corner: N 40° 02.621 W 111° 43.775
The Fort was 60 rods square with corners built of logs forming a buttress. Adobe, rock and mud walls stood 8 feet tall. 4 feet wide at the bottom and 2 feet wide at the top on a rock foundation with a deep 4 foot trench around the outside. It was built during the Walker Indian War 1853-54.
The Southwest Corner: N 40° 02.622 W 111° 44.105
The Northwest Corner: N 40° 02.875 W 111° 44.105
The Northeast Corner: N 40° 02.868 W 111° 43.775
The Payson Presbyterian Church at 160 S. Main in Payson, Utah was built in 1882. It has also been known as Payson Bible Church. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 1986; the listing included two contributing buildings.
According to its NRHP nomination, it is “one of a number of Protestant churches constructed in Utah during the 1870s-90s, the period of most concentrated and active missionary work by Protestants among the Mormons.”
It is also a contributing building in the Payson Historic District, which was listed on the National Register in 2007.
Here is the NRHP listing text:
The Payson Presbyterian Church, constructed in 1882, is a one-story
Gothic Revival brick building with a rectangular plan and a steeply pitched
gable roof with a bell tower. Despite a few minor alterations, the building
retains its historical integrity.
Evidence of the building’s Gothic Revival style is found in the use of
pointed arches over the windows and door and in the decorative bargeboards on
the gable end of the facade. Also located on the front gable are a circular
window and a decorative corbeled brick belt course which arches over the
window and door openings. All elevations of the building are symmetrically
composed, with four evenly spaced windows on each side and a central doorway
flanked by two windows on the facade. The bell tower, located at the peak of
the front gable, is an original feature. The building rests on a stone
Alterations made to the church over the years are minor and do not
significantly affect the building’s integrity. The most noticeable change is
the small one-story frame addition on the rear which was built sometime after
1930. The front doorway has been altered slightly by the replacement of the
original door with the existing modern one (n.d.) and by the removal of what
was probably a window or transom above that door; the opening itself has not
been altered, however. The only alteration of note on the interior is the
addition of a small, enclosed entrance vestibule.
There is one other building located on the property, a one-story brick
“education building” situated just south of the church building. Since it was
built in the 1970s it does not contribute to the significance of this property.
Built in 1882, the Payson Presbyterian Church is historically significant as
one of approximately ten remaining Presbyterian churches built in Utah as part
of the church’s missionary program among the Mormons during the late
nineteenth century. The Payson Presbyterian Church, which was the first
Protestant church built in Payson, served for over 25 years as both a school
and church, making it one of the longest-lived of the approximately 20
church/schools operated by the Presbyterians. The Presbyterian Church was one
of several Protestant denominations which operated day schools as an important
part of their missionary work among the Mormons in Utah. Though those
facilities were not successful at winning converts, they were effective in
providing some of the highest quality education available in Utah prior to the
establishment of a publically funded school system in the 1890s. The Payson
Presbyterian Church is also architecturally significant as one of the best
examples, if not the only example, of the Gothic Revival style in Payson.
Though an architectural survey of Payson has not yet been completed, it is
known that there are relatively few examples of the Gothic Revival style in
the community. The Gothic Revival style was a popular choice for small
Protestant churches throughout the state, though it was not common for Mormon
churches built during the same period.
The Christopher F. Dixon, Jr., House at 248 N. Main St. in Payson, Utah was built in 1899. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 1977.
It was constructed as a home for Christopher Flintoff Dlxon, Jr. (b. 1861 in Ohio) whose family arrived in Payson in 1862 as pioneer Mormon settlers. He did well in cattle and wheat and eventually arranged to have this eclectic Victorian home built. It is a local landmark.
The John Dixon House at 218 N. Main St. in Payson, Utah was built in 1893. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 1978.
The John Dixon House, constructed in 1893-1894 is an excellent Utah example of the Richardsonian Romanesque design on a residential building. The house was constructed for John Dixon, a native of Payson and important figure in the state’s livestock industry. John Dixon served as mayor of Payson from 1900 through 1904.
According to its 1977 NRHP nomination, the house “is architecturally significant as a rare example of the influence of the Richardsonian Romanesque mode of design on residential architecture of the state. The high quality of craftsmanship represented in the building is also significant.”
The Samuel Douglass House at 215 N. Main St. in Payson, Utah was built in 1874 and later substantially altered. It was updated to include Bungalow/craftsman architecture in 1912, and won a high school civics class award.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. It is also a contributing building in the Payson Historic District, which was listed on the National Register in 2007.
Built in 1874 and expanded c. 1894 and 1912, the Samuel Douglass House is architecturally significant in Payson. It is an excellent local example of the vernacular interpretation of nineteenth-century Greek and Gothic Revival styles subsequently adapted to twentieth-century Bungalow and Arts and Crafts styles. The house is also significant for its unique, original floor plan, which remains easily discernible.
Samuel Douglass was born in 1850 in Salt Lake City, moving to the Peteetneet community in 1863. He followed his father in the general merchandise business and served in several civic positions. He married Emma Jane Dixon in 1874 and was recognized as a successful businessman and supporter of important civic projects such as the Strawberry Valley Project. His house was wired for electricity in 1897 and was also among the first in the community to have running water installed in 1902. The architectural changes made to the house in 1912 reflected growing optimism in the area and incorporated the latest Bungalow and Arts and Crafts styles.