1058 West 400 South in Salt Lake City, Utah
(technically on the parcel of 340 South Goshen Street)
Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph
80 S Market St, San Jose, California
St. Joseph’s was the first church of the Pueblo de San Jose. The original adobe structure was built on the present site in 1803. It was replaced by a second adobe in 1845, which in turn was replaced by a wooden building in 1869. After this structure was destroyed by fire in 1875, the present building was begun. Designed by architect Bryan J. Clinch, this grand edifice continues to house San Jose’s oldest seat of Christian worship.
St. Mary of the Assumption Church and School
Built in 1883, this is the oldest Catholic church and school still in use in Utah. Remodeled in 1950 following severe damage by fire.
Marker placed January 1974 by the Park City Arts Festival Committee.
St Mary’s Catholic Church
In the late 1870’s numerous schools and churches were established through Park City – evidence that a sense of community was replacing the transient mining camp character of the town. With Irish Catholics prominent among the mining population, St. Mary’s Catholic Church was the largest local congregation.
In 1881 the original frame church and school were built. Classes were conducted by the Sisters of the Holy Cross in the basement. During July 4th celebrations in 1884 the building was destroyed by fire. Reconstruction began immediately, and by fall the two stone buildings were completed. The school operated until 1933, when enrollment had dwindled to 57 students and was expected to decline further.
St. Mary’s was gutted by fire in 1951, at a time when mines were closing and local population declining. Father William Kennedy rallied a corps of unemployed miners to reconstruct the buildings, thus assuring continuation of the Catholic organization in Park City.
St Mary’s celebrated its centennial in 1981, and is the oldest Catholic Church in the state of Utah.
Sister of the Holy Cross
Catholic Pioneers in the Cause of Christian Education and Charity in Utah In June 1875 in answer to the appeal of the Rev. Lawrence Scanlan, two sisters of the Holy Cross, Mother M. Augusta and Sister M. Raymond, came to Salt Lake City. In August they were joined by Sisters M. Pauline, Anna, Josepha, Holy Innocents, and Petronella, and in September they opened St. Mary’s Academy at 152 South First West Street. In October of the same year Sisters M. Holy Cross, Bartholomew, and Bernard opened Holy Cross Hospital at 50 South Fifth East Street. The hospital was established on the present site in 1882. The College and Academy of St. Mary-of-the-Wasatch and Holy Cross Hospital stand today as monuments to mark the trail of these pioneer Sisters.
This is U.P.T.L.A. Marker #18, merged with the S.U.P. Markers listed here. This marker is located at 1051 East 100 South in Salt Lake City in front of the Salt Lake Regional Medical Center.
The historical marker reads as follows:
MISSION SAN LUÍS REY DE FRANCIA
Founded June 12, 1798 by Father Lasuén, then president of the California missions, and administered by Father Peyrí, Mission San Luís Rey is notable for its impressive architecture-a composite of Spanish, Moorish, and Mexican.
The following text was copied from Wikipedia.
Mission San Luis Rey de Francia was founded on June 13, 1798 in what is now the town of Oceanside, California. In 1816, Mission San Antonio de Pala was established twenty miles inland as its asistencia (“sub-mission”). The local Payomkowishum tribe became known as the Luiseño, after the San Luis mission. An early account of the mission was written by one of its Luiseño neophytes, Pablo Tac.
No services were held at the Mission for 46 years. It was not until 1892 when two Mexican priests were given permission to restore the Mission as a monastery; Father Joseph O’Keefe was assigned as an interpreter for the monks. It was he who began to restore the old Mission in 1895. The cuadrángulo (quadrangle) and church were completed in 1905. Today, Mission San Luis Rey de Francia is a working mission. It is cared for by the people who belong to the parish, and is still being restored. There is a museum and visitors center at the Mission, as well as a small cemetery.
The Mormon Battalion
Exactly 150 years ago american families adherents
Of the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints were
Driven from Nauvoo, then the largest city of Illinois
Created by them out of marsh lands along the Mississippi
River. Their goal was a high desert valley at the mouth
Of the great salt lake. There they could worship god
According to the dictates of their council.
En-route and at Council Bluffs Iowa during late June
And early July 1846 discussions with federal officials
Resulted in the enlistment of 500 volunteers as soldiers
In the army of the united states to march to California in
Defense of its people.”
Another sign on an another sign of this post reads:
“One hundred fifty years later, as youths and adults, we
Place this monument to these spiritual goals of our march
Through life. We believe this personal memorial would be
More fitting in their sight, and we dedicates it stride by stride,
Imprint by imprint in every faithful footstep.
Families Of The Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints
Erected: June 26, 1996
Dedicated: January 25, 1997
Carlsbad California Mission Escondido South Stake
Carlsbad Stake Poway Stake
Del Mar Stake Riverside West Stake
Escondido Stake Vista Stake
The Cathedral of the Madeleine is a Roman Catholic church in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States. It was completed in 1909 and currently serves as the cathedral, or mother church, of the Diocese of Salt Lake City. It is the only cathedral in the US under the patronage of St. Mary Magdalene.
The cathedral was built under the direction of Lawrence Scanlan, the first bishop of Salt Lake. It was designed by architects Carl M. Neuhausen and Bernard O. Mecklenburg. The outside is predominantly a Neo-Romanesque design, while the inside tends more toward the Neo-Gothic. Construction began in 1900 and was completed in 1909. It was dedicated by Cardinal James Gibbons, Archbishop of Baltimore.
The Cathedral of the Madeleine has a very interesting history in which four important facets of Utah and American history are expressed. First of all, it was designed by Architect C. M. Neuhausen, and demonstrates his attachment to H, H. Richardson’s architecture, popular in America at the
turn of the century. Some writers suggest that the influence of Sir Christopher Wren is also evident as a result of the Irish background of Bishop Lawrence Scanlon.
Secondly, the Cathedral represents the missionizing efforts of Catholicism in settling the American west. Fathers Antanazio Domingues and Silvestre Velez de Escalante were the first white men to explore into Utah. In addition, in 1776, the “Pious Fund” established by the early Jesuit Padre Kino and Father Salvatierra, for building churches in the Californias (1697), became available after more than two centuries of “controversy,” Allowing a ruling by the Hague Tribunal in 1902. Monies from these Jesuit funds were paid to the “Bishops of the Californias” of which $124,080.54 sent to the Salt Lake Diocese for building the Cathedral, a fitting tribute to the long and continuing impact of the Catholic missions on the American west.
Thirdly, much of the money used to build and furnish the Cathedral came
rom Utah mines, which also provided the first attraction for major Catholic
emigration to Utah. Such names as David Keith, Thomas Kearns, Mrs. Mary
Judge and others are among the contributors. The Father of Utah mining,
General Patrick Connor, was a Catholic. Many of the thousands of miners who came to exploit Utah’s minerals were and still are Catholics. Between 1873 and 1915 all were directly affected by the Cathedral builder, Father Scanlon.
Finally, the lovely Cathedral is the crowning, tangible monument to the
extensive and effective labors of Bishop Lawrence Scanlon. Father Edward
Kelly had been assigned to Salt Lake City in 1866, and his successor, Father
Patrick Walsh, came in 1871. They had purchased land and built the first
Catholic Church in Salt Lake City, yet the edifice retained a debt of $6,000
Scanlon arrived in 1873.
Under Scanlon’s direction, churches were built in most of the mining and
larger communities of Utah. all parishes in Utah before his death, and all charitable and educational institutions as well, including All Hallows College, St. Mary’s Academy, St. Ann’s Orphanage, and Holy Cross Hospital.
The Cathedral itself evolved slowly. In 1889, land was purchased from Don Carlos Young for about $39,000. Ground was broken on July 4, 1889, but the
cornerstone was not laid until July 22, 1900. By 1907 the building was almost finished except for the spires. At that time Bernard O. Mecklenburg
was hired as a new architect. Construction was completed and the structure dedicated August 15, 1909. It was a day for celebration, especially by Utah
Catholics. Construction costs have been estimated at over $300,000 plus
Bishop Scanlon worked successfully with Mormon and civic leaders, who held him in high regard. His death May 10, 1915 was mourned by all Utahns. In tribute to him, his remains were placed in the crypt under the Sanctuary. The words of Bishop Keane, given at the time the Cathedral was dedicated, pay eloquent tribute to this structure:
“This magnificent temple is a confession of faith of the Catholics of Salt
Lake. Families will come and go, revolutions will arise, but Temples such as
this remain as lasting monuments to those who built them, monuments to the living faith in human hearts.“