The entire 110 acres of the park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980 as Liberty Park.
It was established in 1881 upon purchase from the estate of Brigham Young. It is significant as “Utah’s best example of the ‘central park'”, following example of New York City’s Central Park in the general reform movement that represented.
Several historic buildings and markers are located throughout the park.
Liberty Park Posts:
William D. Kuhre House
Built in 1890 in a Victorian Eclectic sttyle, this house was substantially remodeled in 1910 with features more typical of early twentieth-century architecture. This remodeling included the addition of the fron porch and a new roof. The house was built for William D. Kuhre, who was born in 1863 in Ephraim to Danish immigrants. Two years later his parents were killed there by a band of Indians under Chief Black Hawk. Kuhre was adopted by John and Ellen Dobbie, who subsequently moved to Salt Lake City. In 1881 Kuhre gained work as a bookkeeper at the Pioneer Ore Sampling Mill in Sandy. He later became a partner in Jensen & Kuhre Lumber & Hardware Company, one of the most long-lived businesses in Sandy. Kuhre was elected mayor in 1901 and served on the school board for many years. He moved during the 1930’s, but the house remained in possession of the family until the early 1960s.
Golden Pass Road
Photograph: “Portion of road up Parley’s Canyon, showing how unfinished it was, but adequate to get wagons and horses over.” Photograph: “Early form of transportation up Parley’s Canyon. Notice narrow path behind wagon.” Parley P. Pratt’s toll road. The “Deseret News” dated June 29, 1850, described Parley Pratt’s new route through Parley’s Canyon as the Golden Pass, the new route through the mountains. This alternate valley entrance was explored and built by Parly P. Pratt and was used as a means of securing fuel and timber for himself and other emigrants. To defray his expenses for the road building, he initiated a toll for others to use his road in 1848. His established rates were as follows: 75c for a two-horse outfit, 10c for each additional pack or saddle animal, and 1c per head for sheep and loose stock. His toll house was located near the creek and approximately 1/2 mile west of Suicide Rock. Initially the Golden Pass Road was passible for horse and wagon, and between 1850-1869 thousands of Mormon pioneer emigrants, California-bound gold seeks, Pony Express riders, overland stage coaches, plus thousands of soldiers traveled over this dirt road.
The marker for Brigham Young Industrial Center is at the same location.
Brigham Young Industrial Center
Built on a 200 acre farmland north of Parley’s Creek and east of 20th East between the years of 1849-1852, it was the largest grist mill in the Utah Territory. It operated between 1852-1857 and was shut down in 1857 due to the entrance of Johnson’s U.S. Army. The mill was operated by means of a large water wheel located on the northeast corner of the mill. Water in turn was conveyed by a mill race from Parley’s Creek (just east of Suicide Rock) approximately one mile to the spillway and onto a twelve foot diameter water wheel. The shaft of this waterwheel conveyed take-off power for belt drive to the Industrial Center’s machinery. Following in 1857 start-up, the milling equipment was removed in 1863 and the plant was changed over to a cotton mill and then a woolen mill until its demise by fire.
The marker for Golden Pass Road is at this same location.
Born with severe earthly disabilities on September 23, 1988 in Salt Lake City to Johanna (Anneke) Dame Robison and Ernest Parker Robison. At birth, Matthew’s life expectancy was anticipated to be only hours long. However, fortitude, strength, and endurance, combined with the power of God allowed Matthew to live ten and one-half years enveloped in the love of his family and friends.
His father decided to design a tombstone for him depicting the happiness he wanted for his son in both life and death.
The Church Office Building (COB) is a 28-story building in Salt Lake City, Utah, which houses the administrative support staff for the lay ministry of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) throughout the world.
The building is 420 ft (128 m) tall at roof level and is located within the Temple Square complex on the corner of North Temple and State Street.
Some of the graves of famous and significant people in the Salt Lake City Cemetery.
John Taylor – the third president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Wilford Woodruff – the fourth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Joseph F. Smith – the sixth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Heber J. Grant – the seventh president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
George Albert Smith – the eighth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
David O. McKay – the ninth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Joseph Fielding Smith – the tenth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Harold B. Lee – the eleventh president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Harold B. Lee – the twelfth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Howard W. Hunter – the fourteenth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Gordon B. Hinckley – the fifteenth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
First Methodist Episcopal Church (also known as First United Methodist Church) is a historic church at 200 S. 200 East in Salt Lake City, Utah.
It was designed by architect Frederick Albert Hale and was built in 1905. Hale designed dozens of Salt Lake City buildings and a number of churches outside the state, but this was his only church in Utah.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.