Golden Pass Road
Photograph: “Portion of road up Parley’s Canyon, showing how unfinished it was, but adequate to get wagons and horses over.” Photograph: “Early form of transportation up Parley’s Canyon. Notice narrow path behind wagon.” Parley P. Pratt’s toll road. The “Deseret News” dated June 29, 1850, described Parley Pratt’s new route through Parley’s Canyon as the Golden Pass, the new route through the mountains. This alternate valley entrance was explored and built by Parly P. Pratt and was used as a means of securing fuel and timber for himself and other emigrants. To defray his expenses for the road building, he initiated a toll for others to use his road in 1848. His established rates were as follows: 75c for a two-horse outfit, 10c for each additional pack or saddle animal, and 1c per head for sheep and loose stock. His toll house was located near the creek and approximately 1/2 mile west of Suicide Rock. Initially the Golden Pass Road was passible for horse and wagon, and between 1850-1869 thousands of Mormon pioneer emigrants, California-bound gold seeks, Pony Express riders, overland stage coaches, plus thousands of soldiers traveled over this dirt road.
The marker for Brigham Young Industrial Center is at the same location.