Brigham Young Industrial Center
Built on a 200 acre farmland north of Parley’s Creek and east of 20th East between the years of 1849-1852, it was the largest grist mill in the Utah Territory. It operated between 1852-1857 and was shut down in 1857 due to the entrance of Johnson’s U.S. Army. The mill was operated by means of a large water wheel located on the northeast corner of the mill. Water in turn was conveyed by a mill race from Parley’s Creek (just east of Suicide Rock) approximately one mile to the spillway and onto a twelve foot diameter water wheel. The shaft of this waterwheel conveyed take-off power for belt drive to the Industrial Center’s machinery. Following in 1857 start-up, the milling equipment was removed in 1863 and the plant was changed over to a cotton mill and then a woolen mill until its demise by fire.
The marker for Golden Pass Road is at this same location.
See other historic markers in the series on this page for SUP Markers.