The 15th Ward Chapel
The old chapel the was previously used for the 15th Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salt Lake City.
For other historic churches in Salt Lake City visit this page.
Located at 396 North 100 West in Provo and built 1925, the Provo 4th Ward Building stands out as another gorgeous formal chapel.
It is now an apartment building, but was in the past started being built in 1915, but stopped because of World War I. The saints met in the basement. After the war they continued building and finally dedicated it in 1925. Church President Heber J. Grant came from Salt Lake City to dedicate the building. They even had door prizes at the dedication. They included a lifetime Schaeffer Pen set, a 1925 Chevrolet car and a live bull.
PIPE SPRINGS NATIONAL MONUMENT, Established May 31, 1923, through efforts of Stephen T. Mather and friends. PIPE SPRINGS, occupied in 1863, by Dr. James M Whitmore, who, with Robert McIntire was killed 4 miles S.E. of Pipe Springs January 8, 1866, by Navajo and Piute Indians.
WINDSOR CASTLE Erected by direction of Brigham Young in 1869 – 70 by Anson Windsor for handling the Church tithing herds and as a frontier refuge from Indians. It became the first telegraph office in Arizona when the Deseret Telegraph Line reached here in December 1871.
See other historic markers in the series on this page for UPTLA/SUP Markers.
Location: 51 South and State St. – Social Hall Ave.
This monument marks the site of the Social Hall, the first recreation center in the intermountain west. Built by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints under the direction of Brigham Young. Made of plastered adobe walls with native wood floors and roof. Auditorium 40 by 60 feet, seating 350 persons – stage 20 by 40 feet – dressing rooms and banquet hall in basement. Dedicated January 1, 1853.
Here the Deseret Dramatic Association conducted many home talent theatricals, musicales and other festivities. Sessions of the Legislature, official meetings, receptions, banquets, and other social functions were held here. It was used as theatre, library and gymnasium by the Mutual Improvement Associations.
In 1922 the building was razed.
This is UPTLA Marker #20, see other historic markers in the series on this page for UPTLA/SUP Markers.
Salt Lake City Tour #8 is also here. See also, Social Hall Museum.
The location of the park is where, on July 24, 1847, Brigham Young first saw the Salt Lake Valley that would soon become the Mormon pioneers’ new home. Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe that Young had a vision shortly after they were exiled from Nauvoo, Illinois. In the vision, he saw the place where the Latter-day Saints would settle and “make the desert blossom like a rose” and where they would build their State of Deseret. As the account goes, Brigham Young was very sick with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and was riding in the back of a wagon. After exiting Emigration Canyon and cresting a small hill, he asked to look out of the wagon. Those with him opened the canvas cover and propped him up so he could see the empty desert valley below. He then proclaimed, “It is enough. This is the right place. Drive on.” The words, “this is the place,” were soon heard throughout the wagon train as the Mormon pioneers descended into the valley, their long journey having come to an end. The statement was first attributed to Young by Wilford Woodruff more than thirty years after the pioneer advent.
Over the next several years, tens of thousands of Mormon pioneers emerged from Emigration Canyon and first saw their new home from this same location. A Utah state holiday, Pioneer Day, occurs each year on July 24 to commemorate the Mormon pioneers’ entry into the valley.
The historical marker reads as follows:
MISSION SAN LUÍS REY DE FRANCIA
Founded June 12, 1798 by Father Lasuén, then president of the California missions, and administered by Father Peyrí, Mission San Luís Rey is notable for its impressive architecture-a composite of Spanish, Moorish, and Mexican.
The following text was copied from Wikipedia.
Mission San Luis Rey de Francia was founded on June 13, 1798 in what is now the town of Oceanside, California. In 1816, Mission San Antonio de Pala was established twenty miles inland as its asistencia (“sub-mission”). The local Payomkowishum tribe became known as the Luiseño, after the San Luis mission. An early account of the mission was written by one of its Luiseño neophytes, Pablo Tac.
No services were held at the Mission for 46 years. It was not until 1892 when two Mexican priests were given permission to restore the Mission as a monastery; Father Joseph O’Keefe was assigned as an interpreter for the monks. It was he who began to restore the old Mission in 1895. The cuadrángulo (quadrangle) and church were completed in 1905. Today, Mission San Luis Rey de Francia is a working mission. It is cared for by the people who belong to the parish, and is still being restored. There is a museum and visitors center at the Mission, as well as a small cemetery.
The Mormon Battalion
Exactly 150 years ago american families adherents
Of the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints were
Driven from Nauvoo, then the largest city of Illinois
Created by them out of marsh lands along the Mississippi
River. Their goal was a high desert valley at the mouth
Of the great salt lake. There they could worship god
According to the dictates of their council.
En-route and at Council Bluffs Iowa during late June
And early July 1846 discussions with federal officials
Resulted in the enlistment of 500 volunteers as soldiers
In the army of the united states to march to California in
Defense of its people.”
Another sign on an another sign of this post reads:
“One hundred fifty years later, as youths and adults, we
Place this monument to these spiritual goals of our march
Through life. We believe this personal memorial would be
More fitting in their sight, and we dedicates it stride by stride,
Imprint by imprint in every faithful footstep.
Families Of The Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints
Erected: June 26, 1996
Dedicated: January 25, 1997
Carlsbad California Mission Escondido South Stake
Carlsbad Stake Poway Stake
Del Mar Stake Riverside West Stake
Escondido Stake Vista Stake
Arizona’s Honeymoon Trail
For nearly forty years, couples from Arizona settlements left their homes each fall after harvest and traveled 400 miles to St. George, Utah. Winding slowly through desert and steep canyons, crossing barren plateaus, and passing rivers and pools of undrinkable water, these travelers made their way to be married in the St. George Temple, the only temple completed at that time. The trail followed the old wagon road across the Colorado River at Lee’s Ferry. Couples from Snowflake and Taylor were the first known to make the trip in 1881. Some couples married in civil ceremony before leaving, while others were escorted by chaperones. A few couples, waiting to afford the trip, had children who accompanied them. Frequently couples banded together for the trip. Before leaving on the long, hazardous journey, wagons were loaded with food packed in grub boxes, and water barrels were mounted on the wagon sides. Supplies of hay and grain for the animals were also transported. When needed, settlers along the way furnished food and water from their meager supplies.
Because of the romantic nature of these adventures, reporter Will C. Barnes gave the route its name, The Honeymoon Trail. After the Atlantic Pacific Railroad was completed in 1885, a few couples went by train, and later by auto. When the Mesa Arizona Temple was dedicated in 1927, the journey was no longer necessary. The old trail still is visible in a few places. The route was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. This slender thread that connected the Arizona settlements to the St. George Temple became an enduring testimony to the faith of these settlers, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A pattern of sacrifice aided the pioneers in settling the Arizona and New Mexico wilderness.
Early in 1878 a hardy band of Mormon pioneers arrived on this mesa. With a straight edge and a spirit level they proved the feasibility of using the ancient Montezuma Canal to bring life-giving irrigation water from the Salt River to the desert sands. On February 14th work began on this project. A survey was made and stakes driven, May 16, 1878, to plat the townsite according to the “City of Zion” plan given by Joseph Smith, the founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints. Elijah Pomeroy was the first Bishop of Mesa and A. F. McDonald the first Mayor. Maricopa County