Location: 51 South and State St. – Social Hall Ave.
This monument marks the site of the Social Hall, the first recreation center in the intermountain west. Built by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints under the direction of Brigham Young. Made of plastered adobe walls with native wood floors and roof. Auditorium 40 by 60 feet, seating 350 persons – stage 20 by 40 feet – dressing rooms and banquet hall in basement. Dedicated January 1, 1853.
Here the Deseret Dramatic Association conducted many home talent theatricals, musicales and other festivities. Sessions of the Legislature, official meetings, receptions, banquets, and other social functions were held here. It was used as theatre, library and gymnasium by the Mutual Improvement Associations.
In 1922 the building was razed.
This is UPTLA Marker #20, see other historic markers in the series on this page for UPTLA/SUP Markers.
Salt Lake City Tour #8 is also here. See also, Social Hall Museum.