The first members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to enter what is now Arizona were remnants of the Mormon Battalion. They arrived in the Valley of the Tucson Basin December 17, 1847, prepared for battle. However, the Mexican Garrison refused to surrender and departed with most of the population. The Stars and Stripes were raised over the ancient Indian village. This march accomplished the task of pioneering a route through southern Arizona and inspired many, like Pvt. Erastas Bingham, to return with his wife and sons. They homesteaded, cleared land of mesquite, creosote, cats claw, rattlers, Gila monsters, lizards and tarantulas. Teams, plows, picks, and shovels were used to build reservoirs and irrigation systems. They called their community Binghampton, The children walked or rode on horseback or in buggies to school at Nephi Bingham’s home. School was later held in a one-room building south of the Rillito River at Fort Lowell & Maple Boulevard. In 1905 Alexander Davidson donated land for the Davidson School. Charles Bayless furnished materials, and members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints donated labor. The school was used for cultural and church events. Settler families, Bingham, Farr, Young, Webb, Williams, and Hurst, were soon followed by Mormon Colonists fleeing Mexico. Colonists Langford, Bluth, Done, Ray, Johnson, Hardy, Nelson, Stock, Evans, Terrel, Jesperson, James, Price, Cordon, Butler, Huish, Naegle, Heder, Chlarson, and others added to the bustling Mormon farm village. The Binghampton Branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized May 22, 1910. Binghampton was gradually absorbed by Tucson’s growth. All that remains is the pioneer cemetery, a few adobe homes, and the chapel built in 1927, still used by ward members from the Tucson Arizona Stake.
This is DUP Marker #548, for other DUP Markers click here.