Collinston, Utah in Box Elder County.
In 1871 the Brigham City Mercantile and Manufacturing Association built a dairy near this location in Cottonwood Hollow. The large 2 ½ story structure was built from locally quarried stone and represented the Dairy Department of the religious cooperative established by Mormon Apostle Lorenzo Snow.
The dairy was run by Christian and Elizabeth Hansen, who had immigrated from Denmark in 1854. Elizabeth was widely acknowledged as an expert cheese maker and had responsibility for all of the products created here.
Members of the cooperative were invited to loan cows to the dairy in early spring. Every fall, the cows, along with a share of the cheese and butter their milk had produced, were returned to them.
A devastating fire at the co-op’s woolen factory in 1877 followed by an onerous federal tax assessment in 1879 sent the cooperative into receivership. Christian and Elizabeth Hansen purchased the dairy farm from the cooperative and ran it successfully until 1893.
One of their sons, Willard Snow Hansen, continued the dairy operations for a time before transitioning into sheep ranching. Their other son, Lorenzo Hansen, founded the Cache Valley Condensed Milk Company, which for decades produced evaporated milk, cheese, and butter at six creameries in Utah and Idaho.
This monument was erected in Beaver Dam, Utah by descendants of Christian Hansen in June of 2013 and is #186 of the Sons of Utah Pioneers historic markers.
Presbyterian Centennial Bell
The Presbyterian work in Utah began at Corinne June 11, 1869 under Rev. Melanchthon Hughes, sent here by Rev. Sheldon Jackson, Missionary and Educator. This bell was later given to the first congregation. In the first century, the Presbyterians established some 125 schools and churches throughout Utah. The educational and religious impact cannot be measured.
“Behold a sower went out to sow — and some brought forth a hundred fold”
As you look down the historic Bear River, imagine Indians, fur traders, explorers, and emigrants grazing their animals in the lush river bottom. During the gold rush, the Salt Lake Cutoff crossed the Bear River here on its way to rejoin the California Trail at the City of Rocks.
On his way to survey the Great Salt Lake in 1843, topographical engineer John C. Freemont crossed Bear River near here and described the river as “a natural resting and recruiting station for travelers, now and in all time to come.”
Mountaineer Samuel J. Hensley led a pack train north from Great Salt Lake City in the summer of 1848, discovering the route that became the Salt Lake Cutoff. On the Humboldt River, Hensley met a part of 45 men and one woman – Melissa Burton Coray – who had marched to California with the Mormon Battalion during the Mexican War.
They were now bound for Salt Lake to rejoin their families. Following Hensley’s directions, the Mormon veterans brought the first wagons over the trail and camped at a spring near here on September 23, 1848.
Later, some 25,000 overlanders used the Salt Lake Cutoff during the peak gold rush years of 1849 and 1850. Mormon pioneers William Empey and Abraham Hunsaker ran a ferry at this site in the early 1850’s.
Located in a mini-park near the Railroad Depot is a historical rail with a monument that reads:
The first transcontinental railroad that tied the west to the east with bands of steel was completed with the driving of the golden spike at Promontory, Utah, 33 miles west of here May 10, 1869. The railroad was abandoned with the ceremonial pulling of the golden spike August 8, 1942. This is the rail which served in the same place as the original rail held by the golden spike. The other rails were used to help relieve the steel shortage during the second world war.
The Junior Chamber of Commerce of Brigham City secured this rail from the Union Pacific Railroad and presented it to Box Elder County.
Dedicated December 22, 1943 by Governor Herbert B. Maw.
Located at 815 West Forest St in Brigham City, Utah
The Davis Fort – Built 1851
Soon after the first white families settled at Box Elder, they built a temporary fort to protect themselves from Shoshone Indian attacks.
The Davis Fort was named after their leader, William Davis and consisted of a row of simple log cabins.
The people moved out of the fort in the spring of 1852.