The Holy Cross Chapel at the Salt Lake Regional Medical Center in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Dedicated in 1904, the chapel was originally part of Holy Cross Hospital, established in 1875 by the Sisters of the Holy Cross. It was one of the first hospitals in the Salt Lake Valley.
First Latter-day Saint Chapel in Phoenix
The first meetinghouse in Phoenix for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) was built on this site by the three-hundred-member congregation of the Phoenix Ward. At the time, J. Robert Price was bishop.
Since their beginning in 1912 with nine members, the Latter-day Saints in Phoenix had met in four different locations – – the Knights of Pythias Hall at 23 East Washington Street, a laundry at 534 West Washington Street, an old Spanish-style building at 121 South First Avenue, and a room over a bicycle shop at 237 North Fifth Street. They purchased this area on the eastern edge of Phoenix’s original city plat and built their first chapel 1918-1919.
The handsome meetinghouse – – designed by Pop and Burton, Architects, of Salt Lake City – – was an early example of the influence Frank Lloyd Wright’s architecture had in the Southwest. The Latter-day Saints worshipped here for nearly thirty years. Phoenix used it as a community center, and weekly businessmen’s luncheons and youth dances were held in the building.
By 1923, a thriving congregation (ward) of 730 made it necessary to expand the building; after further expansion in 1926, the meetinghouse filled this plaza area. Other wards were organized and more chapels were built, but the Phoenix First Ward continued to meet here until 1948, and Brill was completed. The building on this site was sold to another church and eventually demolished in 1969.
Bishop J. Robert Price, 1918-1926
Bishop George F. Price, 1926-1928
Bishop John H Udall, 1928-1938
Bishop Arch B. Campbell, 1938-1950
Sons of Utah Pioneers, Salt River Chapter and Historic Arts and Sites Committee of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Plaque located in Heritage Square.
See other historic markers in the series on this page for SUP Markers.
Archbishop Joseph S. Alemany of the Diocese of San Francisco asked Father Lawrence Scanlan to settle in the mining town of Silver Reef and minister to the miners and their families. Father Denis Kiely arrived in Utah in 1874 and assisted Father Scanlan in Silver Reef. Fathers Henry T. Hyde, P. O’Conner, and P. Galligan also also served the people in Silver Reef from 1880 to 1882.
In 1879, Father Scanlan established the St. John’s Catholic Church, the Silver Reef Hospital, and St. Mary’s School in Silver Reef.
When the church was first constructed, it didn’t have a tower. But Father Hyde collected money and eventually the tower was erected and a 400 lb bell was installed.
St. John’s Church was closed in 1885.
In 1895, William Stirling purchased and moved the vacant St. John’s Catholic Church from Silver Reef to Leeds. He converted the building into the Leeds Social Hall or “Old Stirling Hall.”
The Graceland Chapel has been a part of the Las Vegas Strip for almost 70 years and is one of the most prominent chapels for a wedding in Las Vegas. A Las Vegas wedding is one of the most appealing wedding ideas to celebrities too. Jon Bon Jovi was married here and in 2001, actually held a concert in our parking lot with 75 couples who renewed their vows with him!
Other musicians such as Billy Ray Cyrus, Aaron Neville and members of popular groups such as Def Lepard, KISS, Deep Purple and The Thompson Twins have all tied the knot here as well. Last year Jay Leno even stopped by with plenty of entourage to check out the chapel.(*)
The 19th Ward Meetinghouse and Relief Society Hall.
Located at 168 W. 500 North, Salt Lake City, Utah, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
It was built in 1896. Its architecture is significant in American history as reflecting changes imposed upon The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) by outside influences. Pressure included various Federal enforcement efforts following upon the Edmunds–Tucker Act of 1877, which outlawed polygamy. In effect, the LDS Church capitulated, and sought to adopt different values in conformity with worldwide ones. The meetinghouse was designed by architect Robert Bowman and represented a “totally out of character” change in style; it includes an “oriental, Byzantine, or German Renaissance-inspired onion dome”. It was no longer a church when listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
The building currently houses the Salt Lake Acting Company.
See other historic churches in the area on this page.
19th Ward Boundaries: (*)
… bounded on the north by 5th North St. and Girard Avenue (or the 24th Ward), east by the brow of the hill (or Capitol Hill Ward), south by 2nd North St. (or the 17th Ward), and west by 1st West St. (or the 22nd Ward).
The boundaries of the 19th Ward were extended so that at one time all that part of Salt Lake City lying between 2nd North St. and the Warm Springs and from Main St. and Arsenal Hill to the Jordan River belonged to the ward, although much of this territory, at the time, was unoccupied.
1849, February 22 – one of the original nineteen wards
1889 – all that part of the ward lying west of 2nd West St. was separated from the 19th Ward and organized as the 22nd Ward.
1891 – all that part of the ward lying north of 9th North St. was separated from the 19th Ward and organized as the 23rd Ward
1909 – the western boundary of the ward was changed from 2nd West St. to 1st West St.
1926 -all that part of the ward lying north of 5th North St. was organized as the 24th Ward
The 19th ward is one of the original 19 wards in Salt Lake City in 1849, you can see the others on this page.