Keetley, Utah was a town that was eventually covered up by Jordanelle Reservoir.
210 North 200 East in Heber City, Utah
historichebercity’s instagram account has an interesting post here:
March is Women’s History Month so we’re happy to introduce some of the women who have played an integral part in the history of Heber.
Meet Lavina Elizabeth Averett Murdock.
Born in 1867 in Heber City, UT. Lavina was the second child of William and Elizabeth Averett. William and Elizabeth were among the earliest settlers in the valley.
Lavina learned responsibility and hard work as a child. In 1894 she married Nelson Murdock and the two quickly became the parents of 5 children. In 1903 tragedy struck the young family when Nelson took his own life by drinking poison. Lavina was left to figure out how to care for her family.
Just a few months after her husbands death Lavina found employment as the city recorder and was paid $40 monthly.
Even though she had no formal education past 8th grade in 1905 Lavina began her career in local government by being elected treasurer of Wasatch County. She was the first woman to be elected as a county treasurer in the state of Utah. Lavina successfully continued in what was then a man’s world by holding the treasurer’s office from 1905-1917. In 1913 she was chosen to be the first woman to serve on the school board as trustee. In 1920 she was chosen to be the school board treasurer.
In 1905 Lavina and her family moved into a home on the corner of 2nd E and 2nd N. She worked hard to pay for her home and often would rent rooms to help pay for the home. At one time she provided rooms in her home to be used as hospital rooms by Dr. Hatch since there was no hospital in town. Lavina raised and supported her 5 children on her own. In her later adult years she visited and lived with her adult children around the country. She lived to be 90 years old. She is buried in the Heber City Cemetery.
This cross-wing Gothic Revival house was built in 1877 for George Bonner, Jr. It was designed and built by John Watkins, an accomplished Utah builder who constructed many of the first homes in Midway. It was built at the same time as his brother William’s house across the street to the east. Both houses were reportedly completed and furnished in time for both their weddings in January 1878.
George Bonner, Jr. was born in 1850 in Scotland. His family emigrated to Utah and settled near Midway in 1861. In 1874, he and his brother William established a successful mercantile business, which George eventually took over. George and his wife Phebie lived in this house until their deaths in 1913 and 1914, respectively.
Located at 90 East Main Street in Midway, Utah
Constructed c. 1876, the George Bonner, Sr., House is one of seven houses contained in the Architecture of John Watkins Thematic Resource Nomination, having been designed and built by John Watkins, an accomplished early Utah
builder. John Watkins’ work effectively illustrates the dynamic role the professional builder played in shaping Utah’s early architectural landscape. While it has been customary for historians to explain Utah architecture from the time of first settlement in 1847 up to about 1890 as the simple extension of eastern folk styles or the replication of popular pattern-book designs, John Watkins’ houses suggest a more generous appraisal. Slave to neither tradition nor pattern-book, Watkins found useful ideas in both, ideas that formed the basis of essentially new if nevertheless familiar designs. From two-room cottages to elaborate Gothic Revival houses to houses intended for multi-family polygamous living, Watkins drew upon his broad building experience to create not copies of other houses, but new ones designed to meet his client’s functional, aesthetic, and symbolic needs. This house is significant not only as an important example of the Gothic Revival style in early Utah, but also because it demonstrates Watkins’ ability to deftly manipulate basic picturesque design concepts. Drawing upon a set of ideas embodied in the basic cross-wing house form, Watkins was able to generate a rich variety of housing designs.
John Watkins was born in Maidsone, Kent, England in 1834. He received training in the building trade in his native England before joining the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and emigrating to Utah in 1855. Watkins’
skills were welcomed in the nascent Mormon towns of, first, Provo, and then Midway. In Provo, Watkins helped build the original LDS Tabernacle (1856).
George’s sons homes are across the street:
Located at 103 East Main Street in Midway, Utah
Built in 1877 for William Bonner, this is one of several Gothic Revival style houses in Midway that were designed and constructed by John Watkins, an accomplished local builder. Watkins, an emigrant from England in 1856, demonstrated his considerable architectural knowledge and skills by combining variations of the cross-wing house form with Gothic Revival stylistic elements to create houses which, though similar to each other, are each unique. Watkins’ houses are among the best examples of Gothic Revival style in Utah. William’s father’s house, located across the street to the north, and his brother George’s house on the corner to the west, were also built by John Watkins. This house and George’s house were reportedly built and completely furnished in time for both their weddings in January 1878. Together, William and George operated the Bonner Mercantile for a number of years, then William devoted full time to his livestock operations, raising purebred horses and cattle. William and his wife Sarah Eliza Bronson remained in this house until their deaths in 1925 and 1946, respectively.
Located at 110 East Main Street in Midway, Utah
Midway Social Hall
Built in 1898, the Midway Social Hall is constructed of a local material knows as “pot rock,” a porous limestone formed by “hot pots,” or hot springs. The building i architecturally significant in its use of this locally popular 19th century construction material. This simple, rectangular structure, incorporates Classical architectural features such as a symmetrical principal façade pedimented lintels.
The Social Hall shares a wall with a building to its east built c.1905 that was originally known as Hair’s Barber Shop and Ice Cream Parlor. Between c.1910-40 a window that existed in the shared wall was open during functions at the Social Hall so patrons could be served ice cream and sodas.
The Midway Social Hall is historically significant for its role as a community meeting place and center for cultural performances. It is one of the few known remaining social halls constructed by Mormon communities during the second half on the nineteenth century. The hall functioned as the primary meeting place for local activities and celebrations and for religious and town meetings from the date of its construction until the building of the Midway Town hall in 1940.
Located at 55 East Main Street in Midway, Utah
James William Clyde House
This historic brick Victorian Eclectic style house was constructed circa 1884 for Richard and Agnes Jones. They lived in the house for only a few years before selling it to James William Clyde in December of 1889. Mr. Clyde lived in the home until about 1927, when hw built a new house adjacent to this one. During this first quarter of the twentieth century, Clyde was an influential contributor to Heber City. He ran a successful cattle-ranching enterprise and operated various small businesses. His influence as a politician in many capacities included service as a state legislator, state senator, and the first mayor of Heber City. The home retains its historic architectural integrity and is a key contributing resource on Heber City’s Main Street.
Located at 312 South Main Street in Heber City, Utah.
Built in 1934-35, the Stewart/Hewlett Ranch Dairy Barn is one of eight
o significant buildings on Stewart Ranch, a well preserved turn-of-the-century “recreational ranch” that served for over 50 years as both a working ranch and a recreational summer retreat for its owners, prominent business and professional men from Salt Lake City. Stewart Ranch is probably the best preserved of the recreational ranches that were established on the western edge of the Uinta Mountains, a popular location for such ranches because of both its wilderness appeal and its proximity to Salt Lake City, only about sixty miles away. The ranch was established c.1902 by four Stewart brothers William M., Samuel W., Charles B., and Barnard J. who maintained their homes and professions in Salt Lake City while supervising and, to various degrees, participating in the operations of the ranch. The dairy barn was constructed during the ranch’s second phase of operation, which began in 1931 when the ranch was sold by the Stewarts to Lester Hewlett, son-in-law of Charles, and his brother, Vern. At that time the emphasis of the ranch was changed from cattle raising to dairying.
The notable buildings remaining on the ranch and when they were built:
- Ethelbert White/William M. Stewart Ranch House (1890)
- Barnard J. Stewart Ranch House (1911)
- Samuel W. Stewart Ranch House (1913)
- Charles B. Stewart Ranch House (1918)
- Stewart Ranch Foreman’s House (1929-30)
- Lester F. Hewlett Ranch House (1912?)
- Verner Hewlett Ranch House (1929-30)
- Stewart-Hewlett Ranch Dairy Barn (1935)