Saint Mary’s Episcopal Church
Built in 1907 and located at 50 West 200 North in Provo, Utah
Neils Johnson / Ray Hansen House
Cabin built c. 1870.
House built c. 1876.
Garage built c. 1938.
The Johnson/Hansen home is both historically and architecturally significant. The log cabin, brick house, and garage, built between c. 1870-1938, describe settlement patterns and periods of development in Provo. Linking the brick of the historic home with a “modern” garage through the log cabin symbolizes the connection between past, present, and future.
These structures are architecturally significant as excellent examples of local 1870s architecture and as a unique, late 1930s blend of nostalgic and modern influences on residential design. By attaching the structures, the owner was simultaneously preserving the pioneer origin of the community and acknowledging the realities of a more modern lifestyle, one increasingly influenced by the automobile.
485 East 400 South in Provo, Utah
A Firebug Bit Provo in 1878
Abraham O. Smoot and William Paxman became business partners in 1870 and established a lumberyard on what is now the northwest corner of University Avenue and 600 South. The business sold lumber, hay, and coal.
David John replaced William Paxman as Smoot’s partner in 1878. Smoot, John & Company made wooden doors, window sashes, and moldings as well as running a lumberyard.
On the night of March 28, 1878, men who were passing by the business noticed fires burning at both ends of a shed that was full of dry lumber. Since Provo had no fire department, volunteers fought the fire with buckets of water. They also hauled some lumber and shingles out of harm’s way.
The partners, who carried no insurance, lost about $2,300 worth of lumber and manufactured goods. They suspected that an arsonist had set the fire.
Another mysterious fire broke out in Provo’s Gardeners’ Exchange Building shortly afterward on the night of April 8, and spread to an adjacent building on Main Street (now University Avenue). It caused $5,000 worth of damages. This blaze also appeared to be the work of an arsonist. Men searched the neighborhood and found coal oil and other combustibles prepared for the flames in a nearby store.
These fires so close together prompted the Salt Lake Tribune to comment, “These incendiary fires are becoming common.” The fires and further evidence of a pyromaniac in the area aroused the people of Provo. Mayor Smoot, whose lumberyard had burned down, and the Provo City Council took rapid action in April. They authorized the organization of citizen groups to patrol the streets at night and watch for any questionable activity.
After the vigilante patrols began, the suspicious fires ended. Apparently, the firebug took flight in search of more combustible materials.
Utah Lake – Western Sea of Galilee
Utah Lake was welcoming to Indians, trappers, explorers, and Mormon pioneers. Its shorelines, tributaries, and surrounding land provided sustenance and shelter for both animals and peoples. The lake played a significant role in the settlement of Utah Valley and survival of both pioneers and Native Americans. Its history is fraught with plaques, draught, famine, crickets, and grasshoppers.
Provo pioneers shared fish seined from the lake with Indian tribes during the lean years. Long seines, weighted vertical fishing nets, were the only method for harvesting large quantities of fish. The average catch was about 150 pounds daily in the summer and about 30-40 pounds during the winter months. The Honorable John Henry Smith maintained that the story of Terrane fisherman, Peter Madsen, who provided food for the famished during 1855-56, was quite as worthy of historical recognition as the story of the “Gulls” and “Lillies.” Provo’s Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Bishop assigned men to fishing crews to operate Madsen’s seine twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. But, even then, there was a long wait for fish. Fires burned constantly along the mouth of the river to furnish warmth and dry fisherman’s clothing. The men worked even in ice cold water, wearing what clothes they had, which were minimal, just to save their meager supply of clothing. No charge was made for the fish. The hungry came from Sanpete on the south, Salt Lake on the north, and Duchesne on the east, each camping along the river, awaiting their turn to receive fish to be cleaned, salted down in barrels or dried Indian fashion.
The thirteen species of fish outnumbered people in Utah Valley in 1851; the census listed the population as 1,505. As more settlers arrived without provisions, the demand for fish grew. Loyal Church members were tithed by the number of fish they harvested, providing sustenance for laborers on public works projects.
The boats and equipment used by the pioneer fishermen were very crude but safe and practical for their time. No lives were lost during this period of trial and need, despite the fact that Utah Lake, with its great area of nearly 150 square miles and its extremely shallow depth, was really a treacherous and vicious body of water. Many lives have been lost since the days of pioneer fisherman.
Peter Madsen’s descendants continue to fish the lake, as do other notable families including the Loys, Carpenters, and others. Some of the original species of fish have disappeared, while others remain on the endangered species list. Our sacred duty is to preserve the lake, fish, and its history.
Provo’s Liberty Bell
This ship’s bell is from the valiant USS Wasatch, flagship of the seventh fleet under Admiral Thomas C Kincaid. The ship is famous for its outstanding service in the south pacific during World War II.
Official Navy records state that during the battle of Leyte, “Admiral Kincaid’s flagship was the hub around which the sea, land, and air campaign raged.”
Through the efforts of U.S. Senator Wallace F Bennett, the ship’s bell was obtained for the Provo July Forth Celebration, Inc., a civic group which organized Provo’s Independence Day activities from 1939 to 1952.
As a patriotic monument, the bell was presented by this group for the people of Provo and the Wasatch Front on July 4, 1972.
Dedicated to all Veterans of War
Provo City, Utah
“That all men shall be free”
“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”
Staff, Flag & Dedication presented by
Provo Lodge No. 849 – B.P.O. Elks
Meditation area and installation by Veterans Memorial Board of Provo
June 14, 1972.
The Knight Allen house was built for J. William Knight, an important businessman in turn-of-the-century Provo and a son of Jesse Knight. It was subsequently owned by R. E. Allen a son-in-law of Jesse Knight who was also an important businessman and an officer in all the Knight family businesses. The Knight-Allen house is significant historically as the residence of important early businessmen of Provo.
The Knight-Allen house was built about 1899 for J. William Knight. It is probable that it was designed by Richard C. Watkins, a prominent local architect. J. William Knight married in 1899 and this was the couple’s first house. When he and his new wife moved to Canada to manage a Knight concern there, J. William Knight sold the house to his sister Inez and her new husband, Robert Eugene Allen. Because the Knights lived in the house for such a short period of time, the building is more closely associated with the Allen family.
Robert E. Allen was born in Coalville, Utah in 1877. He received his education at Summit Academy, Brigham Young Academy, and Rochester Business College. In 1901 he started teaching at Brigham Young university and in 1902 he married Amanda Inez Knight. Allen was quickly assimilated into the business concerns of the Knight family and became a rather wealthy businessman. He served as manager of the Knight Power Company from 1908 to 1912. From 1907 to 1933 he was secretary of the Knight Investment Company which directed the family’s holdings and was also cashier of the Knight Trust and Savings Bank. He later served as manager of First Security Bank in Provo.
Inez Knight Allen was a woman of note. She was one of the first two women sent as proselyting missionaries by the L.D.S. Church. She later became very active in politics and civic affairs. She was the Democratic National Committee woman from Utah for four years, was a delegate to National Democratic conventions, and ran unsuccessfully for the state senate. She also chaired many local civic groups.
Mr. and Mrs. Allen were very generous with their wealth and contributed heavily to B.Y.U. Several buildings were constructed by the University with these contributions.
Located at 390 East Center Street in Provo, Utah.
Built in 1893 by Charles E. Loose and located at 383 East 200 South in Provo, Utah.
Built in 1893 by Charles E. Loose. Charles Loose was involved in the Grand Central Mining Company as manager, which is where he acquired his wealth. He was probably the most prominent non-Mormon in Provo at the turn-of-the-century. This house is distinct among turn-of-the-century homes of Provo’s other leading entrepreneurs in that it combines the massing of the Shingle Style with a consistent program of Eastlake ornamentation. Its enveloping roof, veranda and pentagonal fanlight gable windows mark its individuality among the City’s architecture.*