• About JacobBarlow.com
  • Cemeteries in Utah
  • D.U.P. Markers
  • Doors
  • Exploring Utah Email List
  • Geocaching
  • Historic Marker Map
  • Links
  • Movie/TV Show Filming Locations
  • Oldest in Utah
  • Other Travels
  • Photos Then and Now
  • S.U.P. Markers
  • U.P.T.L.A. Markers
  • Utah Cities and Places.
  • Utah Homes for Sale
  • Utah Treasure Hunt

JacobBarlow.com

~ Exploring with Jacob Barlow

JacobBarlow.com

Tag Archives: LDS

Mission San Luis Rey De Francia

20 Sunday Nov 2016

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 2 Comments

Tags

California, Catholic, historic, Historic Markers, LDS, LDS Church, Oceanside, San Diego County

picture27dec07-071

The historical marker reads as follows:

MISSION SAN LUÍS REY DE FRANCIA

Founded June 12, 1798 by Father Lasuén, then president of the California missions, and administered by Father Peyrí, Mission San Luís Rey is notable for its impressive architecture-a composite of Spanish, Moorish, and Mexican.

The following text was copied from Wikipedia.
Mission San Luis Rey de Francia was founded on June 13, 1798 in what is now the town of Oceanside, California. In 1816, Mission San Antonio de Pala was established twenty miles inland as its asistencia (“sub-mission”). The local Payomkowishum tribe became known as the Luiseño, after the San Luis mission. An early account of the mission was written by one of its Luiseño neophytes, Pablo Tac.

No services were held at the Mission for 46 years. It was not until 1892 when two Mexican priests were given permission to restore the Mission as a monastery; Father Joseph O’Keefe was assigned as an interpreter for the monks. It was he who began to restore the old Mission in 1895. The cuadrángulo (quadrangle) and church were completed in 1905. Today, Mission San Luis Rey de Francia is a working mission. It is cared for by the people who belong to the parish, and is still being restored. There is a museum and visitors center at the Mission, as well as a small cemetery.

picture27dec07-069

picture27dec07-070

 

 

Located at 4050 Mission Ave in Oceanside, California.

Also located here:

  • The Mormon Battalion (historic marker)

Related:

  • The Mormon Battalion

Arizona’s Honeymoon Trail

19 Saturday Nov 2016

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 1 Comment

Tags

Arizona, DUP, historic, LDS, LDS Church, Maricopa County, Mesa

2016-09-05-17-24-06

DUP Marker #532 – Located in Mesa’s Pioneer Park.

Arizona’s Honeymoon Trail

For nearly forty years, couples from Arizona settlements left their homes each fall after harvest and traveled 400 miles to St. George, Utah. Winding slowly through desert and steep canyons, crossing barren plateaus, and passing rivers and pools of undrinkable water, these travelers made their way to be married in the St. George Temple, the only temple completed at that time. The trail followed the old wagon road across the Colorado River at Lee’s Ferry. Couples from Snowflake and Taylor were the first known to make the trip in 1881. Some couples married in civil ceremony before leaving, while others were escorted by chaperones. A few couples, waiting to afford the trip, had children who accompanied them. Frequently couples banded together for the trip. Before leaving on the long, hazardous journey, wagons were loaded with food packed in grub boxes, and water barrels were mounted on the wagon sides. Supplies of hay and grain for the animals were also transported. When needed, settlers along the way furnished food and water from their meager supplies.

Because of the romantic nature of these adventures, reporter Will C. Barnes gave the route its name, The Honeymoon Trail. After the Atlantic Pacific Railroad was completed in 1885, a few couples went by train, and later by auto. When the Mesa Arizona Temple was dedicated in 1927, the journey was no longer necessary. The old trail still is visible in a few places. The route was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. This slender thread that connected the Arizona settlements to the St. George Temple became an enduring testimony to the faith of these settlers, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A pattern of sacrifice aided the pioneers in settling the Arizona and New Mexico wilderness.

2016-09-05-17-23-54
2016-09-05-17-23-09

Mesa

19 Saturday Nov 2016

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 1 Comment

Tags

Arizona, DUP, historic, LDS, LDS Church, Maricopa County, Mesa

2016-09-05-17-23-33

DUP Marker #169 – Located in Mesa’s Pioneer Park.

Mesa

Early in 1878 a hardy band of Mormon pioneers arrived on this mesa. With a straight edge and a spirit level they proved the feasibility of using the ancient Montezuma Canal to bring life-giving irrigation water from the Salt River to the desert sands. On February 14th work began on this project. A survey was made and stakes driven, May 16, 1878, to plat the townsite according to the “City of Zion” plan given by Joseph Smith, the founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints. Elijah Pomeroy was the first Bishop of Mesa and A. F. McDonald the first Mayor. Maricopa County

2016-09-05-17-23-54
2016-09-05-17-23-26

 

Pioneer Park

19 Saturday Nov 2016

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 3 Comments

Tags

Arizona, historic, LDS, LDS Church, Maricopa County, Mesa, Parks

2016-09-05-17-25-46

Pioneer Park in Mesa, among other historic sites and markers you can see DUP Markers #169 and #532.

See other historic markers in the series on this page for SUP Markers.

2016-09-05-17-24-47
2016-09-05-17-24-43

Mesa Pioneer Monument

2016-09-05-17-25-37

Mesa Temple

19 Saturday Nov 2016

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 1 Comment

Tags

Arizona, Historic Buildings, Historic Churches, LDS, LDS Church, Maricopa County, Mesa, Phoenix, Temples

img_20160905_173318

The LDS temple in Mesa was one of the first to be constructed by the church. Similar to the Cardston Alberta Temple, the church decided to hold a competition for the design of the temple with the exception of only inviting three Salt Lake firms to participate. The winning design was proposed by Don Carlos Young, Jr. and Ramm Hansen. Announced in 1919, only seven years after Arizona had achieved statehood, it was one of 3 temples announced and constructed to serve outlying Latter-day Saint settlements in the early part of the century, the others being constructed in Laie, Hawaii and Cardston, Alberta. While none of the three settlements were particularly large in their own right, they were considered thriving centers of largely Latter-day Saint populations. The long and arduous trip to existing temples located in the state of Utah would prove costly and even dangerous for the faithful of the era, and temple attendance was (and is) an important part of the faith. As such, it was seen as necessary to construct temples in these communities.

Numerous colonies had been set up in Arizona by the church during the last half of the nineteenth century, and plans had been discussed for a temple in the area as early as 1908, but the start of World War I stopped these for a while. The plan to build a temple in Mesa, Arizona was finally announced on October 3, 1919 and a 20-acre  site was selected and bought in 1921. The site was dedicated shortly after on November 28, 1921 and on April 25, 1922 the groundbreaking ceremony took place. Heber J. Grant conducted the ceremony.

Following the earlier traditions set forth in the building of temples, such as the Salt Lake Temple, the new structure in Mesa was a centerpiece of an organized and planned community for the faithful that lived nearby. Upon its completion in 1927 it was the third largest temple in use by the church and the largest outside of Utah, and remains among the largest temples constructed to this day.

In a departure from the style of temples constructed prior, the Mesa temple (along with the temples in Laie and Cardston) was built in a neoclassical style suggestive of the Temple in Jerusalem, lacking the spires that have become a mainstay of temples built since then, and prior to the announcement and impending construction of the Paris France Temple it was the last LDS temple constructed without a spire. The temple is a neoclassical design featuring the primary structure atop a pedestal, a frieze, pilasters with Corinthian capitals (12 pair along the long side and 10 pair along the short side) and amphorae on fluted columns on the grounds. Below the cornice, eight frieze panels (carved in low relief) depict the gathering of God’s people from the Old and New World, and the Pacific Islands to America.

When construction was finished on the temple, the public was able to take tours through the temple. Two hundred thousand people were able to take a tour through the Mesa Temple. The temple was dedicated on October 23, 1927 by Heber J. Grant. By that afternoon, the temple was being put to use. In 1945, the temple was distinguished by becoming the first to offer temple ordinances in Spanish, the first time they were offered in a language other than English.

2016-09-05-17-26-03
2016-09-05-17-28-37
2016-09-05-17-29-33
2016-09-05-17-31-53
2016-09-05-17-31-55
2016-09-05-17-32-15
2016-09-05-17-32-19
2016-09-05-17-32-34
2016-09-05-17-33-46
2016-09-05-17-33-51
2016-09-05-17-34-07
2016-09-05-17-34-45
2016-09-05-17-34-57
2016-09-05-17-35-18
2016-09-05-17-35-29
2016-09-05-17-35-46

Visitor Center

2016-09-05-17-36-35

2016-09-05-17-38-24
2016-09-05-17-38-28
2016-09-05-17-38-32
2016-09-05-17-50-26

Bountiful Temple

19 Saturday Nov 2016

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 3 Comments

Tags

Bountiful, Davis County, LDS, LDS Church, Temples, utah

2016-10-16-13-42-07

The Bountiful Temple is the eighth temple constructed in the state of Utah. The history of the temple site began back in 1897, when John Haven Barlow Sr. purchased 40 acres  of land from the United States government. Because of lack of water and the steep terrain, little could be done with the land. In 1947 some of the land was cleared and four hundred apricot trees were planted. In the spring of 1983, flash flooding caused a great deal of damage in Bountiful, resulting in the decision to build a dam across the canyon to limit the flow of water during heavy rainstorms. The city requested the use of the soil from the future temple site, so construction crews removed over two hundred thousand cubic yards of soil, leaving the area an ideal spot on which the LDS temple would later be built.

2016-10-16-13-42-00

2016-10-16-13-41-45
2016-10-16-13-42-25
2016-10-16-13-43-24
2016-10-16-13-43-39
2016-10-16-13-44-09

2016-10-16-14-36-35

LDS Conference Center

12 Saturday Nov 2016

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 3 Comments

Tags

LDS, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Temple Square, utah

2016-09-22-18-12-54

The Conference Center, located in Salt Lake City, Utah, is the premier meeting hall for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). Substantially completed in spring 2000 in time for the church’s April 2000 general conference, the 21,000-seat Conference Center replaced the traditional use of the nearby Salt Lake Tabernacle on Temple Square, built in 1868, for semi-annual LDS Church general conferences and major church gatherings, devotionals, and other events. It is believed to be the largest theater-style auditorium ever built.

Related posts:

  • Jane Manning James Painting
  • Temple Square

2016-09-22-18-12-58

img_20160824_200234

2017-10-01 13.17.29

2017-10-01 13.17.32

2017-10-01 13.17.34

2017-10-01 13.18.20

2017-10-01 13.18.09

2017-10-01 13.18.27

2017-10-01 13.18.32

2017-10-01 13.19.41

2017-10-01 13.19.52

2017-10-01 13.22.42

2017-10-01 13.22.49

2017-10-01 13.22.56

2017-10-01 13.23.01

2017-10-01 13.23.19

2017-10-01 13.36.44

2017-10-01 13.37.10

2017-10-01 13.37.11

2017-10-01 13.37.13

2017-10-01 13.37.14

2017-10-01 13.37.16

Cedar City Utah Temple

08 Saturday Oct 2016

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 3 Comments

Tags

Cedar City, Iron County, LDS, LDS Church, Temples, utah

2019-07-01 12.22.50

The Temple in Cedar City is estimated to be completed in late 2017.

2019-07-01 12.24.47-1

2019-07-01 12.24.06

2019-07-01 12.21.41

2019-07-01 12.22.55-1

Here are some photos I took before construction was finished.

img_20160903_144953

2016-09-03-14-42-37

St. George Utah Temple

23 Friday Sep 2016

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 6 Comments

Tags

LDS, St. George, Temples, utah, Washington County

86f2c132-d7cb-45e6-bea6-80fa38956692

The St. George Utah Temple (formerly the St. George Temple) is the first temple completed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints after the forced exodus from Nauvoo, Illinois, within two years of the death of Joseph Smith, Jr. Even though it was the fourth LDS temple started in the Rocky Mountains, it was the first one completed. Located in the city of St. George, Utah, it was designed by Truman O. Angell and is more similar in its design to the Nauvoo Temple than to later LDS temples.

The St. George temple is the oldest temple still actively used by the members of the Church. The temple currently has three ordinance rooms and 18 sealing rooms, and a total floor area of 110,000 feet. It was originally designed with two large assembly halls like the earlier Kirtland and Nauvoo Temples. The lower Assembly Hall was partitioned with curtains to provide the ordinance rooms for the Endowment Ceremony. In 1938 the lower Assembly Hall was rebuilt with permanent walls dividing it into four ordinance rooms. The four ordinance rooms were later changed into the present three rooms, at the time the endowment ceremony was changed from a live endowment to one presented on film.

In the 1970s the temple was closed and underwent extensive remodeling. Spencer W. Kimball rededicated it in 1975. The St. George Temple stands in the center of St. George and serves as a beautiful reminder of the hard work and dedication of the Mormon pioneers.

Here’s another page about this temple.

  • The Temple Quarry

The St. George Temple was added to the National Register of Historic Places (#77001325) on November 7, 1977 and is located at 250 East 400 South in St. George, Utah. The following text is from the register’s nomination form:

Historically the St. George Temple served to unite the settlers of Utah’s Dixie and provided a great stimulus to the local economy. It was the first Mormon temple dedicated in Utah, and the only temple in which Brigham Young participated in the dedication services after the Mormons left Illinois. In explaining the significance of the St. George Temple, Nels Anderson writes:

“No event in Mormon church history exceeded in spiritual importance the dedication of the St. George Temple. Here was the first sign that God’s people had permanently established themselves in the valleys of the mountains. Other temples had been planned or begun, but here was one dedicated eternally. It was a kind of victory monument for thirty years of effort.”

Located over three hundred miles south of the Mormon capitol of Salt Lake City, Utah’s Dixie was initially settled in the mid 1850’s as a series of small settlements were established along Ash Creek and the Santa Clara River. It was discovered that cotton could be grown in the temperate climate and early in 1857 families were called to go to Washington and produce cotton. The success of the first year’s cotton crop was only partially encouraging. However, the settlers fought the ravages of malaria, faced a critical food shortage and found their efforts to divert irrigation water from the Rio Virgin fruitless as spring floods destroyed diversion dams and irrigation ditches. The difficult circumstances led many of the settlers to abandon the communities leaving an inadequate number of discouraged farmers to carry out the cotton experiment.

Faced with cotton shortages as a result of the Civil War and convinced of the importance of a local source of cotton to the Mormon plan of self sufficiency, Brigham Young called over three hundred men, most of whom were heads of families, to move to Southern Utah and establish a new town which would become the center of the cotton mission. The new community, called St. George in honor of Apostle George A. Smith, was located on the slope north of the confluence of the Virgin and Santa Clara Rivers.

Despite the strong support of Brigham Young, the new settlement of St. George suffered from the same problems which plagued the earlier settlers and an atmosphere of discouragement and defeatism prevailed as Brigham Young visited St. George in the summer of 1862.

Brigham Young’s solution to the problems was to initiate a public works program which began with the construction of the St. George Tabernacle in 1863 and was continued in the construction of the St. George Temple which was begun in 1871.

While the Tabernacle was to serve for general church meetings and gatherings, the Temple served a specific function in the Mormon religion. Special ordinances such as marriages, baptisms for the dead, and the temple endowment could be performed only in the temple. Prior to construction of the St. George Temple two other temples had been completed. The first, at Kirtland, Ohio, was completed in 1836 but abandoned when the Mormons left Kirtland in 1838. The second at Nauvoo, Illinois, was completed in the winter of 1845-1846 as the Mormons were preparing to abandon their homes in Illinois. Once in Utah, work on the Salt Lake Temple began in 1853. However, work progressed slowly and it was not until forty years later, in 1893, that the Salt Lake Temple was completed

Impressed with the success of the Tabernacle project as a unifying force in the cotton mission and anxious to witness the completion of at least one temple in the new Mormon homeland before his death, Brigham Young disclosed plans for a temple in St. George in early January of 1871. Local leaders were enthusiastic about the project for two reasons: first the temple would provide a convenient place to perform the ordinances sacred to the Mormon religion, and secondly the construction would have a positive affect in stimulating the local economy.

Local leaders were instructed to look over various sites for the purpose of selecting the best one. A location was selected and the temple site was dedicated by George A. Smith on November 9, 1871.

Eager to proceed with the construction work, men with teams and scrapers began preparing for the foundation a few hours after the dedicatory services.

Because of the high water table, workers faced severe problems in preparing the foundation. Realizing that the abundant sandstone would quickly deteriorate, it was decided to use black volcanic rock. A road costing several thousand dollars was constructed along the volcanic ridge and rocks weighing a few pounds to several tons were hauled by ox teams. At the temple site a pile driver made from an old cannon barrel filled with lead was used to drive the rocks into the soft ground to create a solid foundation.

Construction of the temple was a tremendous undertaking for the relatively few inhabitants of Southern Utah. Therefore the project was of necessity a cooperative endeavor and one to which other Mormons of the state contributed liberally of their talents and resources. A temple district was established which worked in the following manner: “Officers of the temple districts were charged with organizing the labor, produce and cash resources within the district for the building of the temple. In most instances the trustee-in-trust placed at the disposal of each district the tithing paid by members living in the district during the period the temple was being constructed. Within each district, the presidents of stakes and bishops of wards were assigned the responsibility of supplying the construction needs of the temple from their ward or settlement. Each ward, then, under the chairmanship of the bishop, selected a temple committee, and these committees were responsible for organizing their areas and providing the needed assistance upon proper notice. Within each district a number of industries were established to supply needed materials. Thus, each temple had its sawmills, lime kilns, rock quarries, and carpentry shops. Most of these industries contributed revenue to the temple fund by selling a part of their production on the market. For the utilization of donations in supplying its workers, each temple also had a dining hall, meat market, laundry, and general store. Nearly all of the hundreds of men engaged in obtaining materials, and in working on the temples were individual volunteers or were supported by local church groups through cooperative fund-raising ventures.”

Because of the relatively mild climate in Utah’s Dixie during the winter several groups of men from northern communities journeyed to St. George to spend the normally dormant winter months working on the temple.

In a letter to the editor of the Deseret News, published on December 10, 1874, an observer wrote: “The temple is progressing rapidly. About fifty tons of rock is laid on the walls daily by the energetic labors of some twenty rock layers. There are about thirty cutters and dressers engaged in the quarry and on the ground preparing the rock for the layers; also at present twelve teams are engaged in hauling rock from the quarry. On an average they haul thirty-five hundred each trip, making three to four trips per day. At present the walls all around are some thirty-five feet above the ground, and everyone engaged thereon appears to work with a determined will to accomplish the labors assigned him…”

In addition to the immediate work on the temple, men were spread over much of Southern Utah and Northern Arizona to produce materials and supplies necessary for the project. Andres Karl Larson, local historian of the Dixie Region, writes: “The Temple crew was a large one. There were men working at the Navaho sandstone quarry north of St. George and rock dressers at the Temple site. There were roadbuilding crews, particularly to the sawmills on Mount Trumbull, eighty miles southeast of St. George near the depths of Toroweap, a part of the Grand Canyon of the Colorado. Water haulers supplied from the infrequent springs on the Arizona Strip, kept the lumber teams traveling between St. George and the sawmills. At the mills themselves, crews under Robert Gardner were busy getting out the million feet of lumber that went into the floors, joists, studding, pillars, window frames, doors, steps and stairways, and baseboards. From Pipe Springs, under Anson P. Winsor’s management, came beef, cheese, and butter from the church herd to help feed the Temple workers. A church bakery at St. George, operated by Joseph Oxborrow and Charles Bennett, produced bread and cakes. People from all parts of the Southern Mission as far north as Beaver, east to Long Valley, and west to Panaca paid their tithing and Temple donations in kind. These were gathered to the central Tithing Office at St. George and there dispensed in exchange for the scrip the workers received for their labor on the Temple?”

By the end of 1876 the temple was sufficiently completed to begin use of the basement where the baptismal font was located and the sealing rooms in the east tower. These areas were dedicated on January 1, 1877. Brigham Young, who had less than eight months to live, participated in the ceremonies although he was unable to walk comfortably and was carried in an arm chair. A second dedication took place three months later when the April Conference of the Church was held in St. George.

Since its construction one hundred years ago the St. George Temple has stood as an important landmark to residents and travelers in Southern Utah. Andrew Karl Larson describes its landmark status in the following manner: “No one could keep his eyes off the Temple, regardless of the direction from which he approached the city. It burst into view the moment a traveler topped the ridge entering St. George from the east; the same was true from north, west, or south. Far away to the southeast, twenty-five miles distant, from the steep dugway that tortuously crawled down the Hurricane Fault, the Temple could easily be seen; or if a pioneer came from the cattle ranges of the Arizona Strip out south, he locked his gaze on the white landmark resting in its stark setting of gray, blue, black, and vermilion hills–to him a symbol of life everlasting. A proud lodestar, bound to evoke questions from everyone who tarried in the colorful desert over which it stood guard.”

In 1871, when the St. George Tabernacle was nearly completed, it was decided that the St. George Public Works would commence construction of a temple. Several experienced craftsmen who had helped build the Kirtland, Ohio, and Nauvoo, Illinois, temples had settled in St. George and were called upon to put their skills to use on the St. George Temple. The first Mormon temple completed in Utah, the St. George Temple has the strongest architectural link with the two earlier Mormon temples, particularly the Nauvoo Temple, in the East. Plans for the temple were prepared by Truman 0. Angell, Utah’s first architect (he was in the first wagon train to arrive in the Valley of the Great Salt Lake on July 24, 1847) and official Church Architect. Angell designed a building which has been described as “Castellated Gothic” and “English Norman.”

Of the four old Mormon temples in Utah, only the St. George Temple has a single attenuated tower and a whitewashed finish. In its fortified or bastion-like appearance, however, the St. George Temple resembles the others.

The temple was made entirely of indigenous materials with the exception of the twelve cast iron oxen and baptismal font which were cast in Salt Lake City and hauled 318 miles to St. George by ox team. The foundation was made of black lava rock and coated with lime mortar. The superstructure was red sandstone, roughly dressed to accept a plaster coating and white stucco finish. The temple measured 141 feet 8 inches long, 93 feet 4 inches wide, 84 feet to the square and 175 feet to the top of the vane of the tower. Miles Romney, a master craftsman who was instrumental in building the St. George Tabernacle, was general superintendent of construction. President Brigham Young also spent his winters in St. George to both aid his health and assist in the progress of the work.

Since there was no water system in St. George at the time, a cistern and ditch were built to convey water to a 30 foot high stone water tank, designed to match the tmeple. The water was used to fill the baptistry. The water tower is no longer extant.

Monticello Utah Temple

23 Friday Sep 2016

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 3 Comments

Tags

LDS, Monticello, San Juan County, Temples, utah

  • 13912575_10153977975629234_8464549311372050967_n

Once the smallest temple of the Church, the temple was expanded an additional 4,000 square feet.

The Monticello Utah Temple is the 53rd operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). In October 1997, LDS Church president Gordon B. Hinckley announced the building of smaller Latter-day Saint temples throughout the world. The first of these smaller temples was to be built in Monticello, Utah. Less than one year after the announcement, the Monticello Utah Temple was dedicated on July 26, 1998.

The Monticello Utah Temple serves nearly 13,000 church members in Blanding, Moab, and Monticello, Utah areas and members from Durango, Colorado and Grand Junction, Colorado.  Located at the base of the Abajo Mountains, the temple’s exterior is finished in a marble called Noah’s Crème. Thirteen thousand tiles used on the temple were evaluated carefully to make sure they blended with each other for a uniform effect. The Monticello Utah Temple has a total floor area of 11,225 square feet, two ordinance rooms, and two sealing rooms.

← Older posts
Newer posts →

Follow Jacob

Follow Jacob

Come wander with me on Youtube.

Blog Stats

  • 2,165,854 hits

Social and Other Links

BarlowLinks.com

Recent Posts

  • 764 E 21st St
  • 728 E 21st St
  • 656 S Egli Court
  • 689 S Egli Court
  • 660 S Egli Court

Archives

Loading Comments...