Tags

, , , , , ,

2016-09-05-17-23-33

DUP Marker #169 – Located in Mesa’s Pioneer Park.

Mesa

Early in 1878 a hardy band of Mormon pioneers arrived on this mesa. With a straight edge and a spirit level they proved the feasibility of using the ancient Montezuma Canal to bring life-giving irrigation water from the Salt River to the desert sands. On February 14th work began on this project. A survey was made and stakes driven, May 16, 1878, to plat the townsite according to the “City of Zion” plan given by Joseph Smith, the founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints. Elijah Pomeroy was the first Bishop of Mesa and A. F. McDonald the first Mayor. Maricopa County

 

Advertisements