I haven’t been able to find out exactly where this was located, if you know please comment on this page or let me know.
During the 1930s, UTNG used federal money, often supplied through the Works Progress Administration (WPA), to build or expand a number of UTNG facilities. The WPA funded eight armories and several garage and storage areas for the UTNG. By 1940, 13 armories were in use by the Utah Guard including” that in Cedar City.
The location of the historic armory is presently unknown to Living New Deal. The building has since been demolished.
S.U.P. Marker # 8, located at the mouth of Cedar Canyon in Cedar City. For other SUP Markers visit this page.
On this site, in 1876, the Cedar Co-operative Mercantile and Manufacturing Institution constructed the Cedar Co-op Mill. It was a large, three-story wooden building. The original two sets of four foot grinding stones were turned by water which was brought in a ditch from Coal Creek to the South and East. This mill ground the flour, cereal and livestock food for much of Iron County. In 1900 the grinding stones were replaced by a set of rollers. The Mill was changed to a plaster mill in 1914 and operated until 1945. In 1952 the building was torn down and the property sold to Cedar City. For many years this mill was a hub of activity in this valley.
This historic marker, located in Cedar City reads:
It is believed that the first fired bricks in Utah were made in Cedar City in connection with the attempt of the Deseret Iron Company to manufacture iron in 1852. The blast furnace was located in the vicinity of 400 North 100 East. Fired brick was made near there for use in the lining of the blast furnace and construction of some brick homes and some public buildings.
By the turn of the century, most of the brickmaking operations had moved to the southern outskirts of the city. These were located here, immediately north, northeast, east and southeast of this monument. They supplied the brick for homes, commercial and public buildings for Cedar City and some surrounding areas until well into the 1930s. The Old Administration Building and the Old Main Building of the Southern Utah University campus, several blocks from here, were constructed from brick made in this immediate area. This monument stands on part of one of these brickyards, and includes some of the original brick made here. It is a memorial to the various brick makers including Bryant, Fretwell, Dutton, Rollo, Jackman, Palmer and others unrecorded and those who worked for them.
A tabernacle was erected in 1885 on the adjoining corner of Main and Center Streets and was demolished in the spring of 1932. In 1872 Bishop Christopher J. Arthur suggested that this Tabernacle be built to replace the Social Hall. Mayhew Dalley drew the plans for a building 72 x 41-1/2 feet with a tower 110 feet high. Edward J. Ashton of Salt Lake City was engaged as architect and Bengt Nelson was appointed director. The excavation was dug in 1872, but because labor was needed on the St. George Temple, the work was postponed until 1877. The Tabernacle was built of local materials except for the windows. Lumber was cut in Deep Creek, the bricks were burned south of town, shingles were made, and plastering was done. The stone tablet inscribed “Holiness to the Lord” was placed in 1885. The town clock in the tower was a gift from the city and ward. A ball and weather indicator topped the tower. Conference was held in the unplastered building in 1887. A gallery was added later. December 20, 1931, the U.S. Government approved the purchase of the ground for a post office. The last meeting was held in the historic Tabernacle in 1932 prior to its demolition. The Tabernacle was a community project and served the people well for forty-seven years.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup
The Cedar City Pioneers had made their homes in the Old Fort and had built an adobe schoolhouse 28 feet by 60 feet when, in May 1855, President Brigham Young advised them to move to higher ground. By 1859, the majority of the people had moved to the new Cedar City site and had a small, adobe room available for school, church and civic affairs. As more and more people occupied the new Cedar Site, it became apparent that the small building was not adequate. On January 6, 1861, a committee was appointed, composed of Samuel Leigh, John M. Higbee and Isaac C. Haight, who recommeded building a social hall. With materials scarce and labor plentiful, the schoolhouse in the Old Fort was dismantled, brick by brick, and reassembled in the new location (Block 37 Lot 18) to become known as the “Social Hall.” This one-story building had four windows on each side, a fireplace in the west end, and a door in the east end. It was set back from the street to where the center of the State Bank of Southern Utah parking lot is located. The Social Hall was used for church, school, dances, dramatics, funerals, civic and social needs. School functions were transferred from the Social Hall in 1881 when the new school building was finished on the southeast corner of the block. The tabernacle was completed in 1888 for religious purposes, but the Social Hall continued to serve for recreation and other needs until the ward hall was built north of the school building in 1897. At this time the Social Hall was considered unsafe for public use and was torn down.