Built in 1925, on the site of the M&M Building that burned in the 1923 fire, and housed Tonopah and Goldfield Railroad Offices. The Elks Lodge served the community for decades with events and community services including the U. S. Post Office.
Lodge No. 85 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks constructed this striking building as its club headquarters in 1923. The Elks was one of several national fraternal organizations popular in Salt Lake City’s non-Mormon community. This six-story building, constructed at a cost of $300,000, reflects the Elks’ prominence in early-20th century Utah.
The building originally contained many amenities for the use of Elks’ members, including a 1300-seat lodge room, a grand dining room, a library, billiard and card rooms, and more than 50 sleeping rooms. The Roman arch tunnel between the building and the sidewalk leads to the basement which once contained a gymnasium. The main entrance, reached by the stairs on either side of the tunnel, opens into a beautiful lobby featuring marble-sheathed columns and gold-leafed ceiling moldings.
The Salt Lake Elks sold this building in the mid-1970s. Several additions were made in the late 1970s, including another story on the roof and a two-story glass enclosure on the east side. Today, the building is owned by the LDS Church and houses a variety of offices.*
Constructed in 1909-1910 by the Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks, Tintic Lodge #711 was designed by architects Richard C. Watkins and John F. Birch and built by contractor Martin E. Anderson, a Logan contractor. Cost of the building was $30,000. The meeting hall for the Elks Lodge was on the upper floor, with rooms rented to doctors, lawyers, etc., and the lower floor was rented, initially to the Hefferman-Thompson (general merchandise) Company. Later, it was occupied by Norman and Jensen and J.C. Penneys. The small structure on the west was added sometime between 1910-1923, and in 1929 the second story, five rooms for office suites, was built. At that time the lower floor of the small building was occupied by the Eureka Mercantile Commission Company. The Elks “Tintic Lodge” was organized June 20, 1901.