In 1855 Fairfield was settled by John Carson, William Carson, David Carson, William Beardshall and John Clegg. A rock fort 4 rods square was erected in 1856-57, this monument being at the South East corner, which was the entrance. In 1860 the population, including soldiers, was 7,000, this being Utah’s third largest city.
Camp Floyd, adjoining Fairfield on the South and West, was established July 4, 1858 by BVT. Brig. Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston and the Utah Expeditionary Forces numbering about 3,000 men. Col. Phillip St. George Cooke succeeded in command March 1, 1860, changing the name to Ft. Crittenden February 6, 1861. It was abandoned July 1861.
An Overland stage station established in 1859 was operated until 1868 and a Pony Express Station from April 3, 1860 to October 26, 1861. The station was 539 feet East and 210 feet North of this point. This monument was built of rocks from the Barracks and Guard House of Camp Floyd, the Fairfield Fort Wall and Indian Hieroglyphic rocks from 5-Mile Pass.
The Pony Express
Camp Floyd, later renamed Fort Crittenden, was a way station for the Pony Express. It provided troops to protect against Indian attack and kept the trail open for the Pony Express and stage line.
Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association Marker #82 (see others here)
This historic marker is located in Fairfield, Utah
The pioneers of Lehi settled in this vicinity in the fall of 1850. Thirteen families located at Sulphur Springs, later Snow’s Springs, forty rods east of here where a fort was begun. ANother group formed the Lott Settlement, to the southeast. Others located nearby.
The following year most of the families moved to higher ground on Dry Creek, selected in July 1850 by Canute Peterson and six companions, and established Evansville, named for Bishop David Evans. By legislative enactment, February 5, 1852 the “City of Lehi” was incorporated. It included the area between Utah Lake and the north foothills. The name Lehi was taken from the Book of Mormon. This monument was erected as a part of Lehi’s Centennial Celebration.
Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association Marker #118
In addition to a new name, two monuments were also dedicated in the community. Honoring Lehi’s first permanent settlement at Sulphur Springs, later called Snow Springs, the Centennial Committee set a twelve ton boulder into a cement base near the site of the springs on Saratoga Road. A Bronze plaque provided a brief history of the area. Two dats later the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers unveiled their monument at the site of the town’s first cemetery on State Street.
Sulphur Springs History
Sulphur Springs was explored by the Canute Peterson party who came to Lehi. The party was sent by Brigham Young to explore the north end of Utah County. The party included Canute Peterson, David Savage, Charles Hopkins, Henry Royle, William S. Empey, William Wadsworth and Surveyor Lemmon. They set out on an exploration expedition to Utah Valley in July of 1850.
The party initially went to the American Fork area, but became involved in a dispute with Washburn Chipman, Arza Adams, and others over land and water rights. They soon left the area.
Peterson and his followers immediately left and stopped at another stream about three miles west. They named it Dry Creek due to the difficulty in finding adequate water for their horses. After camping on the approximate site of the present Wines Park, they spent the remainder of the day in exploring the surrounding country. They explored as far south as Utah Lake, and as far west and the Jordan River.
A spring was also discovered about three-fourths of a mile north of the lake, and one mile east of the river. It was christened Sulphur Spring on account of the peculiar taste of the water. This spring later became the center around which the first settlers located. The area later became known and Snow Springs. The springs were known as Sulphur Springs until William Snow took possession of the land in 1853.
After the parties exploration of the country, they became impressed by the land and its possibilities. They surveyed and located an extensive tract and determined to return and settle there permanently. Afterwards they returned to Salt Lake.
On September 5th, 1850, David Savage met a band of immigrants who had crossed the plains in Captain Aaron Johnson’s company. Among them were Joel W. White, the brother-in-law of David Savage. Savage urged them to proceed to Sulphur Springs and make it their home because it was the best place to obtain water for domestic use. He sent them on their way but promised he would follow the next day and overtake the party.
In the company traveling to Sulphur Springs were the families of Joel William White, John Griggs White, Claiborne Thomas and Elizabeth Moorehead. Ms. Moorehead was a sister to Claiborne Thomas. The next day David Savage and two hired men were soon followed by Samuel D. White, brother of Joel W. White and son of John Griggs White.
Daniel Cox arrived at Sulphur Springs in September and camped there. Their party was joined in November 1850 by Charles Hopkins, Israel Evans, and their families. William Fotheringham and his aged parents came next. They were followed by Thomas Karren and family. They had crossed by Alpine over the mountains and proceeded to Sulphur Springs. Last of all was Jehiel McConnell and that completed that first colony.
The first challenge was to erect swellings to protect them during the winter. Immediately the settlers began felling the native Cottonwood trees which were found some miles up the creek. Until they could complete their dwellings, the setters used their wagon boxes as temporary homes.
Most homes built had one to two rooms depending on the size of the family. The walls of the homes were approximately seven feet tall. The roof was a leaky inadequate mixture of willows and dirt gabled at the end.
There were only fifteen cabins completed. The cabins faced south. The north fort wall protected them from the north winds. The Spring was in the center. The full extent of their plan was not completed because of the low numbers of settlers. There were eight cabins on the north, four on the east, and three on the west.
They formed a group area to house the animals and a quantity of grass was cut for hay. The first group to arrive was able to put up the hay for the group. The first winter, while cold, was such that the stock could run at large until spring.
The first deaths in Lehi were at Sulphur Springs. In the month of February John Griggs White passed away. David Savage made a respectable coffin from a wagon box. They took his body and buried him at a nice spot north of the Dry Creek area. This was the beginning of the Pioneer cemetery above State Street.
Most of the Sulphur Springs settlers did not have shoes and their clothing was patched and mended. But most went through the winter in good health.
Religious services were performed regularly under the direction of David Savage and Charles Hopkins. In these services they expressed their gratitude to their God for helping them through these hard times of coming to Utah.
NMost of the people traveled the next spring and summer and joined groups that came: Evansville under the direction of David Evans; Lotville led by widowed Mrs Permilia Lott; and the Dry Creek with Canute Peters.
In 1851, soon after the Sulphur Springs Settlers joined with the other existing groups, the first ward in the area was created. The Dry Creek ward Bishop was David Evans with David Savage and Charles Hopkins as counselors.
The first statewide Pioneer Day celebration was held in this basin July 23-24, 1857. Headed by Brigham Young, the company reaching here July 23rd numbered 2,587 persons, with 464 oxen and cows.
A program of addresses, six brass bands, singing, athletic events, drills by six companies of militia, and dancing, was punctuated by salutes from a brass howitzer. U.S. flags were flown from the two highest peaks and two highest trees, the flag-tree in front of Brigham Young’s campsite being 70 feet N.W. of here. At noon July 24, Judson Stoddard and A.O. Smoot, 20 days from the states, with Elias Smith and O.P. Rockwell, arrived with news of the advance of Johnston’s Army against the “Mormons.” The company returned in orderly formation July 25th.
In Tribute to The Utah Pioneers – The founders of Utah, stalwart empire builders, led by Brigham Young, entered the valley of the Great Salt Lake as its first permanent settlers July 24, 1847. This was then Mexican Territory. By the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, February 2, 1848, the area was ceded to the United States.
As the first organized government in the Rocky Mountain Region, the provisional State of Deseret was created March 5, 1849, to function under its Constitution until the Congress of the United States shall otherwise provide. The Territory of Utah was established September 9, 1850. Brigham Young, who had been elected governor of Deseret, was appointed governor of the Territory of Utah by Millard Fillmore, the President of the United States.
Utah became the 45th State in the Union January 4, 1896.
With loyalty to high principles and unwavering trust in God, the “Mormon” Pioneers established this commonwealth framing its government according to the orderliness of their lives, thus gaining for themselves and their posterity the inspiring freedom assured to all citizens of our Republic.
In 2020 the monument was moved from the center of the park to the northeast corner and a new plaque was added to it.
The plaque reads:
This monument marks the site of the “old fort” in which the Mormon pioneers wintered in 1847-48 and in which some of the settlers resided for several years. Brigham Young laid the foundation stones on August 10, 1847, for 4 of the 17 houses erected of logs and sun-dried mud blocks. On August 11, 1847, the first adobe in the 9-foot wall was laid. The houses formed part of the wall that enclosed this 10 acre block, as protection against Indians. The fort was completed in November, 1847. On July 24, 1898, Pioneer Square was dedicated as a public park. The improved park was opened July 24, 1903.
Known to the Indians as Willow Valley – was renamed by fur trappers and traders in the winter of 1825 – 1826.
James Bridger led the first trappers to a winter encampment near here in 1824. Towards December 1825, William Sublette, in charge of Gen. William H. Ashley’s mountain men, ordered many of the season’s furs cached in this vicinity.
Those interested in the furs stored to await Gen. Ashley’s merchandise caravan of 1826, and similar caravans in subsequent years, were William I. Sublette, James Bridger, Jedediah S. Smith, Thomas Fitzpatrick, Etienne Provot, Robert Campbell, James P. Beckwourth, David E. Jackson, Louis Vasquez, Jean Baptiste Gervais, Moses Harris, and many others.
Catholic Pioneers in the Cause of Christian Education and Charity in Utah In June 1875 in answer to the appeal of the Rev. Lawrence Scanlan, two sisters of the Holy Cross, Mother M. Augusta and Sister M. Raymond, came to Salt Lake City. In August they were joined by Sisters M. Pauline, Anna, Josepha, Holy Innocents, and Petronella, and in September they opened St. Mary’s Academy at 152 South First West Street. In October of the same year Sisters M. Holy Cross, Bartholomew, and Bernard opened Holy Cross Hospital at 50 South Fifth East Street. The hospital was established on the present site in 1882. The College and Academy of St. Mary-of-the-Wasatch and Holy Cross Hospital stand today as monuments to mark the trail of these pioneer Sisters.
This is U.P.T.L.A. Marker #18, merged with the S.U.P. Markers listed here. This marker is located at 1051 East 100 South in Salt Lake City in front of the Salt Lake Regional Medical Center.
Paragonah was founded in 1852. Indian troubles caused its abandonment a year later until 1855 when the Pioneer Fort was built. The site was selected and dedicated by President Brigham Young. The Fort was 105 feet square with walls 3 feet thick at the base. A second story was added in 1857. A large room served as Church, School and Amusement Hall. Homes were built around the inside of the wall. The public square includes the site of the Fort, which was torn down in 1879.
Willow Springs Pony Express Station was established April 3, 1860 on the route of the Pony Express between St. Joseph, Missouri and Sacramento, California. It was discontinued October 27, 1861 when the transcontinental telegraph line was opened.
An overland stage station was operated here from 1859 to 1870.
Note: The Willow Springs Home Station, located at the Bagley Ranch on the western end of Callao, shows evidence of a well-used station. The monument and the buildings, which comprised the home station, are still standing and are in good condition. This station is one of the best-preserved stations in the U.S., and is the only existing home station maintained on private property. This station, because of its existing structures, is one of the most interesting and most frequently visited in Utah.