Central Overland Stage, Central Overland Trail, Historic Markers, Overland Trail, Pony Express, Simpson Springs, SUP, UPTLA
Simpson Spring – Pony Express Station
One of the important desert stations on the Pony Express and Overland Stage route between St. Joseph, Missouri and Sacramento, California. From this point, water was carried for for west-bound travelers and animals. The spring was discovered by Captain J. H. Simpson, U. S. Army, in 1858.
The first east-bound Pony Express courier, halted here about 5p.m. April 7, and west-bound about 2a.m. April 10, 1860. The last riders passed about October 22, 1861. The coming of the Overland Telegraph made it inadvisable to continue the Pony Express.
This monument constructed by enrollees, U. S. Grazing Division, C. C. C. Camp G-154, Company 2517 on August 23, 1940 and sponsored by the Oregon Trail Memorial Association and the Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association (#87 of their monuments) it was later adopted by the Sons of Utah Pioneers.