Santa Monica is a beachfront city in western Los Angeles County. Situated on Santa Monica Bay, it is bordered on three sides by the city of Los Angeles – Pacific Palisades to the north, Brentwood on the northeast, West Los Angeles on the east, Mar Vista on the southeast, and Venice on the south. The Census Bureau population for Santa Monica in 2010 was 89,736.
I.O.O.F. Lodge 258 in Arroyo Grande, California.
Arroyo Grande Building 128 Bridge Street. Arroyo Grande, CA
An interesting granite building sits next to the historic bridge on Bridge Street in Arroyo Grande. The South County Historical Society acquired the property which was formerly the meeting place for the International Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF).
The hall is located at 128 Bridge Street and was built in 1902 on land donated by Mrs. Elston in 1898. The building was completed in six months at the cost of $5.500.00. A local contractor, Ben Stuart did the stone work with native sandstone which came from a quarry just south of Arroyo Grande.
The Hall was placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1991.The South County Historical Society is raising money to have this historical building restored, with the first step being Earthquake retrofitting. The first floor of the Hall will house the Museum with a display of its large collection of historical artifacts from the South County area. The second floor houses a historical library, study area and Society and Museum offices.
The Historical Society owns and maintains four other buildings nearby. Heritage House, 126 S. Mason St.; Barn Museum, 127 Short St.; Maunela Schoolhouse, 127 Short St.; Paulding History House, 551 Crown Hill St. Call: (805) 473-5077. Estimated annual visitors are approx. 6,000 and admission is free. www.southcountyhistory.org. Ranked 6th among San Luis Obispo County museums for annual visitors, Hearst Castle experiences an estimated 676,000 annual guests.
The estimated project cost: Over $100,000
Eight years before Arroyo Grande was incorporated the IOOF building was dedicated on Jan. 10, 1903.
Located in Arroyo Grande, California. Hart-Collett Firefighters Memorial Park commemorates the City of Arroyo Grande being served by its Volunteer Fire Department since 1892. Men and women have given of their time and energy, placed themselves in harm’s way, and responded to the “bell” at all hours of the day and night.
Fire suppression, fire prevention, community education, medical air, rescue and extrication, hazardous materials recovery, and assisting neighboring communities are some of their many contributions.
This park is dedicated in honor and memory of all Arroyo Grande Volunteer Firefighters, past, present, and future.
Chief Harry Hart, 1911-1959, Served for 30 years as Firefighter and Chief
Chief Bob Collett, 1939-1993, Served for 30 years as Firefighter, Engineer, Captain and Assistant Chief
First Camp After Discovery of San Francisco Bay
On November 4, 1769, the expedition of Captain Gaspar de Portola, after crossing Sweeny Ridge, beheld the Bay of San Francisco for the first time. That night they camped at a small lagoon, now covered by San Andreas Lake. Finding the bay too large to go around and thinking they had by-passed Monterey Bay, the expedition camped here again on November 12, 1769 on their return to San Diego.
First made a State Registered Historical Landmark No.27, June 15, 1932, this site was rededicated as a U.S.A. Bicentennial Project of San Andreas Lake Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution and the City of Millbrae, California on November 6, 1976
Location granted by the State of California
Monument Base of Serpentine Rock, Official State Rock of California, Furnished by the San Francisco Water Department.
Mrs. Alfred P. Hall (Ethel Leota Bernritter) Organizing member of San Andreas Lake Chapter NSDAR, of Millbrae, California, after nearly 10 years of research, was successful in restoring and rededicating California Registered Historic Landmark No.27 N. Vannucci, W. Monlux, N. Campagna, O. Baswell, P. Perry
Union Cemetery’s name reflects the controversy that erupted in the Civil War, three years after the cemetery’s beginnings in 1859. Pro- and anti- slavery feelings ran high in California, and the founders of the cemetery strongly opposed the secessionist sentiment that threatened the nation’s unity. Because of a controversy over the cemetery’s ownership, the state enacted its first cemetery legislation, although its provisions did not affect Union Cemetery. The law of 1859 allowed for the incorporation of rural burial grounds. The state of California owned Union Cemetery from 1859 until 1962 when it was deeded to Redwood City.
It was move in the 1930’s to the new family farm located on Manzanita Street near Middlefield Road and the railroad tracks, two blocks east of its present day location. It was again moved in 1990 as the property had been sold. To save the windmill from being demolished, it was disassembled and reconstructed on the grounds of the Garfield School and later disassembled again and stored at a Redwood City maintenance yard.
In May 2007, through the efforts of the City of Redwood City, Redwood City Parks and Recreation Department, and Redwood Parlor No. 66 Native Sons of the Golden West, the windmill was reassembled and refurbished at its present location in Union Cemetery, Redwood City.
The Solari Family Windmill is the last known functional windmill of its kind on the Peninsula.
George Solari, the last owner of the windmill was born in Redwood City on January 14, 1904 and lived on the family farms his entire life. He was a member of the Native Sons of the Golden West, Redwood Parlor No. 66, being initiated on July 17, 1924. He as an active member for 65 years, serving as Parlor President in 1945. George Solari passed on the Grand Parlor on High on March 29, 1998.
This reconstructed windmill was originally built in the 1890’s on the George Solari family farm which was located near Whipple Avenue and Old County Road in Redwood City. When the area was subdivided in the 1930’s, the windmill was moved to the new family farm located near Woodside Road and Middlefield Road.
In 1990, the windmill was relocated to Garfield School as part of a new agricultural program. In order to save the windmill from demolition, Jean Cloud and Jeri Joseph-Hover encouraged the city of Redwood City to relocate the windmill to the city’s maintenance yard in June 2000. In 2006, the Union Cemetery site was approved as the new home of the Solari Windmill. The final phase of reconstruction was started in early 2007. Redwood Parlor #66 of the Native Sons of the Golden West refurbished the water tank house which was moved to the Union Cemetery site on May 18, 2007. This project was completed with the support of a number of local volunteers and community donations.