Sister of the Holy Cross
Catholic Pioneers in the Cause of Christian Education and Charity in Utah In June 1875 in answer to the appeal of the Rev. Lawrence Scanlan, two sisters of the Holy Cross, Mother M. Augusta and Sister M. Raymond, came to Salt Lake City. In August they were joined by Sisters M. Pauline, Anna, Josepha, Holy Innocents, and Petronella, and in September they opened St. Mary’s Academy at 152 South First West Street. In October of the same year Sisters M. Holy Cross, Bartholomew, and Bernard opened Holy Cross Hospital at 50 South Fifth East Street. The hospital was established on the present site in 1882. The College and Academy of St. Mary-of-the-Wasatch and Holy Cross Hospital stand today as monuments to mark the trail of these pioneer Sisters.
This is U.P.T.L.A. Marker #18, merged with the S.U.P. Markers listed here. This marker is located at 1051 East 100 South in Salt Lake City in front of the Salt Lake Regional Medical Center.