This five-acre private burial site was established in 1885 by fraternal organizations for the use of members and their families. The cemetery and headstones reflect the beliefs and customs of the time as well as display the sense of loss experienced by families and friends. The cemetery, as a single entity, best describes the sense of community that prevailed in Park City, a melting pot of nationalities.
The site was used extensively until the 1920s when a decline in the membership of fraternal organizations corresponded with the collapse of the mining industry in Park City. Use of the cemetery and maintenance of the grounds diminished greatly. In the 1980s a volunteer society, the Glenwood Cemetery Association, funded by public donations, became caretakers, restoring and maintaining the picturesque graveyard as a peaceful refuge.
Ecker Hill Ski Jump
Completed in 1929, Ecker Hill became one of the premier ski jumping hills in the world during the 1930s and ’40s. National meets were held here regularly during that period, and several world records were broken on the hill by Alf Engen. The national and international fame of Ecker Hill established Utah as a prime ski center in the West and helped launch skiing as one of the state’s principal industries. After hosting the national championships in 1949, Ecker Hill’s prominence declined as larger, more professional jumping facilities were constructed both in this country and in Europe, and as downhill skiing emerged as the major attraction for ski enthusiasts. Ecker Hill was used decreasingly until the last jumps were made here in the early 1960s.
(Looking down on Ecker Hill)
In 1929, local ski-jumping enthusiasts Axel Andresen, Marhinius Strand and Peter Ecker conceived the idea of creating a world-class jumping facility at this site, then known as Rasmussen Ranch.
Through the diligent efforts of many supporters and the Rasmussen family, the jump became a reality. In a dedication ceremony on March 2, 1930, Governor George H. Dern named the hill after Ecker, then President of the Utah Ski Club.
Ecker Hill attracted amateur and professional jumpers from all over the world to compete in events that drew thousands of spectators. Alf Engen, who came to Utah from Norway in 1929 broke five world records here and became recipient of the “Skier of the Century” award.
Calmar Andresen, one of Utah’s amateur champions, lost his life here during a state tournament on February 22, 1934. The last official competition at this site was held in the early 1960’s. This monument serves as a memorial to Calmar Andresen and as a tribute to the achievements of Alf Engen and the other daring jumpers at Echer Hill.
From the city website:
Our City Park has lots of open space to enjoy! The South End is available for reservations which is perfect for your family or business gathering. It includes a pavilion with picnic benches and a huge charcoal BBQ & griddle. This is only where the fun begins as the entire City Park has lots of open lawn space, a softball diamond, volleyball, tennis and basketball courts, state of the art skateboard park as well as a playground.
For Park City’s other parks click here.
(*)The area was traveled by the early Mormon pioneers on their journey to where they settled and built Salt Lake City. One of their leaders, Parley P. Pratt, explored the canyon in 1848. He was given a charter the following year to build a toll road through it, which was finished in 1849. The basin at the top of the canyon was good for grazing, and a few families settled there. Early on, the area was deeded to Samuel Snyder, Heber C. Kimball and Jedediah Grant. The settlers named it “Parley’s Park City”, which was shortened to “Park City” in the early 1900s. The first known discovery of ore in this area was by Colonel Patrick E. Connor, who instigated his men to search the area in bringing non-Mormons to the Utah region. The finding of silver, gold and lead sparked the first silver mines in Park City in the 1860s. Park City’s large mining boom brought large crowds of prospectors setting up camps around the mountain terrain, marking the first mining settlements. Although it was not the first find, the Ontario mine, discovered by Herman Buden in 1872 and later purchased by George Hearst, was the first major producer. By 1892 the Silver King Mine and its owners Thomas Kearns and David Keith took the spotlight as one of the most famous silver mines in the world. While silver was thriving in Utah, other mines around the world were depleted, drawing many of these miners to Park City. The town flourished with crowds of miners and wealth. However, the city nearly became a ghost town by the end of the 1950s because of a drop in the price of silver.
Park City Posts:
- Glenwood Cemetery
- Park City Cemetery
- Park City City Parks
- Park City Pioneers
- Snyderville Pioneer Cemetery DUP Marker and SUP Marker
The transformation of the town into a ski resort is primarily attributed to the silver need during (and after) World War I economy. The war and Great Depression were crippling the economy. Once the site of the largest silver-mining camp in the country, the town was virtually destroyed by fire in 1898. Tragedy struck again in 1902 when 34 miners were killed in an explosion in the Day West Mine. The mining community never fully recovered and the miners resorted to desperate measures. These desperate measures were based on the need to revive the economy, and in doing so the miners gave up their mining heritage, turning to the rising interest in the West and skiing. The silver industry was suffering severely, and the town was hanging by a thread when ‘Parkite’ miners presented to Utahns Inc. a proposal for a ski resort called Treasure Mountain which ended up saving the town. This ski resort opened in 1963 on 10,000 acres of land the miners owned with mineral rights. This is said to be when tourists first largely began to visit Park City. This marks the beginning of the ski industry largely promoted by the Utah State Legislation as a destination resort.
Since the rise of the skiing and tourist economy, Park City houses more tourists than residents. It has become a place of fame through the 2002 Winter Olympic games and provides more attractions than ever before. In the 1950s, Utah began to feed on Park City as a mountain getaway, and not until D. James Canon promoted winter sports in Utah, with the promotional scheme of “Ski Utah” and “The Greatest Snow on Earth” did many drive to see the city. Utah drew in over 648,000 tourists in 1970 and now a yearly average of 4 million tourists. In a small town with a population of 8,000, the average number of tourists in Park City is 600,000 per year. This significant increase in visitors could be credited to promotional material that is carefully planned and distributed by the Utah Publicity and Tourist Council. Growth has accelerated in the last few decades, and Park City is now one of the most affluent and lively resort towns in the United States.
The tourist industry now contributes over one third of the total economic value to the state of Utah. In particular, Park City draws in 3,006,071 average annual visitors; in the winter 1,603,775, and in the summer 1,402,296. Park City prospers from the average nightly visitor spending ranging from $100 to $350. Currently, Park City primarily relies on its tourist industry from skiing to restaurants to hiking and biking. The makeover of Park City has stimulated an entirely different culture of expenditure, adventure, and wealth, and their promotional material indulges it.
As long ago as the 1920s, miners in Park City were using underground trains and shafts to gain access to the mountain for skiing. Aerial trams once used for hauling ore were converted into chairlifts. To this day, there are still more than 1,000 miles of old silver-mine workings and tunnels beneath the slopes at Park City Mountain Resort and neighboring Deer Valley. Park City might be a fairly nondescript-appearing town were it not for its colorful and evocative Main Street, where 64 Victorian buildings are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. There are many remaining mine buildings, mine shafts (most blocked off from outsiders with large steel doors), and hoists, including the weathered remains of the California-Comstock and Silver King Mines and the water towers once used to hydrate one of the biggest mines, the Silver King, provide a hint of the history of this mining town transformed in economic upheaval into a skiing resort.
Matt Knoop, a 2006 graduate of Park City High School, is remembered by the Park City community for his incredible spirit and desire to help others. His own significant accomplishments in the sport of soccer exemplified leadership by example and passion for the game. Despite his untimely passing at age 20 while serving on an LDS Church mission in Brazil, Matt’s lasting impact continues to influence our community for the better.
This Memorial Park is dedicated to Matt, for the enjoyment of others, as a permanent reminder of what will always remain good, wholesome and positive.
Here is the April 2008 Article from when he passed away. Community mourns for LDS missionary killed in Brazil.