, , , ,

St Luke’s Episcopalian Church

In the late 1870s Park City reputation for ore deposits spread nationwide, and its accessibility was guaranteed by the arrival of the rails. Episcopalian ministers began to include the town of their missionary circuit. By the late 1880s a small but stable Episcopalian congregation was established in Park City. A church was built two blocks south of this site in 1890 but was destroyed in the disastrous fire of 1898.

At the turn of the century the Episcopalian congregation was flourishing. In 1901 a volunteer labor force was used to construct this one story, frame, rectangular chapel in a simplified Gothic style.

Reflecting the fluctuations in Park City’s population and fortunes, the church was inactive and deconsecrated from 1947 to 1960. Services resumed in 1964, but the building was dilapidated from abandonment and disuse. Interest in restoration began in 1978. Exterior elements have been carefully retained, while the interior has been modernized to serve the needs of its now thriving membership.