Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph
80 S Market St, San Jose, California
St. Joseph’s was the first church of the Pueblo de San Jose. The original adobe structure was built on the present site in 1803. It was replaced by a second adobe in 1845, which in turn was replaced by a wooden building in 1869. After this structure was destroyed by fire in 1875, the present building was begun. Designed by architect Bryan J. Clinch, this grand edifice continues to house San Jose’s oldest seat of Christian worship.