April 3, 1860 – November 20, 1861.
In 1856 and 1857 John Carson built a square 363 foot fort that would become Fairfield, Utah. Within the walls were housing, food storage and a cistern to store water.
The American Army arrived here in July of 1858 and on November 9, 1858 Camp Floyd was opened. At the time the largest troop concentration in the United States was at this place and sometimes it exceeded 2,700 soldiers.
The name listed on the Pony Express company schedule for this station was Camp Floyd. The actual station site used by the Pony Express was at the “Stagecoach Inn.” This was built by John Carson on the site of his original fort in 1858. This two story adobe and framed Hotel and Inn served the needs of the Pony Express and Overland Stage. The stables were one block east and one-half block north from the Inn.
Monument dedicated June 2, 2007 by:
- Howard Ault family
- Norman A. Butts family
- Tony and Janice Peck family
- Valdean and Luana Hadfield family
- Grandpa Carl, Gabe and Jade Mellor
- Pony Express Trail Association