Camp Floyd / Stagecoach Inn State Park in Fairfield, Utah.
In 1855 Fairfield was settled by John Carson, William Carson, David Carson, William Beardshall and John Clegg. A rock fort 4 rods square was erected in 1856-57. In 1860 the population, including soldiers, was 7,000, this being Utah’s third largest city.
Camp Floyd, adjoining Fairfield on the South and West, was established July 4, 1858 by BVT. Brig. Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston and the Utah Expeditionary Forces numbering about 3,000 men. Col. Phillip St. George Cooke succeeded in command March 1, 1860, changing the name to Ft. Crittenden February 6, 1861. It was abandoned July 1861.
An Overland stage station established in 1859 was operated until 1868 and a Pony Express Station from April 3, 1860 to October 26, 1861. The station was 539 feet East and 210 feet North of this point.
- Camp Floyd Cemetery
- Camp Floyd Pony Express Stop
- Col. Philip St. George Cooke (Historic Marker)
- Fairfield – Camp Floyd – Fort Crittenden (Historic Marker)
- Fairfield Stagecoach Inn
- State Parks in Utah