Fairfield – Camp Floyd – Fort Crittenden
In 1855 Fairfield was settled by John Carson, William Carson, David Carson, William Beardshall and John Clegg. A rock fort 4 rods square was erected in 1856-57, this monument being at the South East corner, which was the entrance. In 1860 the population, including soldiers, was 7,000, this being Utah’s third largest city.
Camp Floyd, adjoining Fairfield on the South and West, was established July 4, 1858 by BVT. Brig. Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston and the Utah Expeditionary Forces numbering about 3,000 men. Col. Phillip St. George Cooke succeeded in command March 1, 1860, changing the name to Ft. Crittenden February 6, 1861. It was abandoned July 1861.
An Overland stage station established in 1859 was operated until 1868 and a Pony Express Station from April 3, 1860 to October 26, 1861. The station was 539 feet East and 210 feet North of this point. This monument was built of rocks from the Barracks and Guard House of Camp Floyd, the Fairfield Fort Wall and Indian Hieroglyphic rocks from 5-Mile Pass.
The Pony Express
Camp Floyd, later renamed Fort Crittenden, was a way station for the Pony Express. It provided troops to protect against Indian attack and kept the trail open for the Pony Express and stage line.
Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association Marker #82
(see others here)
This historic marker is located in Fairfield, Utah