Col. Philip St. George Cooke
June 13, 1809 – March 20, 1895
Impartial friend, humanitarian, soldier, dedicated to the west unequivocally loyal to the Union, Col. Cooke commanded the Mormon Battalion on the greater part of its historic march which contributed to bringing Western America under the Stars & Stripes.
Cooke helped establish Camp Floyd in 1858 and was from August 1860 to July 1861 the commanding officer of the Military Department of Utah, earning the respect and gratitude of the Mormon people. When many persons defected to the south including Sec. of War John B. Floyd and General Albert Sidney Johnston, he changed the name of the post to Fort Crittenden February 6, 1861.
Cooke received orders via Pony Express in May 1861, to abandon the fort and return the remnants of Johnston’s Army to Fort Leavenworth. Assigned to the defense of the Nation’s Capitol, he was given the rank of Brigadier General.
Fairfield – Camp Floyd – Fort Crittenden
In 1855 Fairfield was settled by John Carson, William Carson, David Carson, William Beardshall and John Clegg. A rock fort 4 rods square was erected in 1856-57, this monument being at the South East corner, which was the entrance. In 1860 the population, including soldiers, was 7,000, this being Utah’s third largest city.
Camp Floyd, adjoining Fairfield on the South and West, was established July 4, 1858 by BVT. Brig. Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston and the Utah Expeditionary Forces numbering about 3,000 men. Col. Phillip St. George Cooke succeeded in command March 1, 1860, changing the name to Ft. Crittenden February 6, 1861. It was abandoned July 1861.
An Overland stage station established in 1859 was operated until 1868 and a Pony Express Station from April 3, 1860 to October 26, 1861. The station was 539 feet East and 210 feet North of this point. This monument was built of rocks from the Barracks and Guard House of Camp Floyd, the Fairfield Fort Wall and Indian Hieroglyphic rocks from 5-Mile Pass.
The Pony Express
Camp Floyd, later renamed Fort Crittenden, was a way station for the Pony Express. It provided troops to protect against Indian attack and kept the trail open for the Pony Express and stage line.
Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association Marker #82
(see others here)
This historic marker is located in Fairfield, Utah
Cedar Fort, while home to only 392 people is the fourth largest city or town in Utah County as far as land size. It was incorporated in May 1965 and was previously the county seat of a Cedar Valley County.
Annie Wilcox and Bishop Allen Weeks were the first settlers of Cedar Fort.
Wilcox, who died as an infant as her parents made the difficult journey to Salt Lake Valley, was buried under a bush. Later that night, unable to sleep, her mother returned to the grave site to find Annie alive. Annie continued on to Utah with her family, who helped settle Cedar Fort. She grew up to become a midwife.
Bishop Allen Weeks’s children were killed by American Indians in the hills around Cedar Fort, yet when those same Indians came to his home wearing his children’s clothing and asking for food, he opened his door and welcomed them in.
This determination, drive and open-door generosity still flows through the veins in this little town where fewer than 400 residents live today, many of them being third, fourth and fifth generation to the original pioneers.(*)
Onlineutah states that “On January 5, 1856, by legislative act, the settlements of Cedar Valley were organized into a county with Cedar Fort as the county seat. The entire area was later absorbed into Utah County.”
- Cedar Fort Cemetery
- Cedar Fort Pioneer Cemetery
- Cedar Fort School
- Historic Hacking Farm
- http://cedarfortphoto.blogspot.com is a pretty cool blog.
Fairfield has the highest average age of residents in the County at 49.5 years old. It was incorporated December 20, 2004. It was previously known as Frogtown.
The town was founded in 1855 when John Carson, his four brothers, and others settled in the Cedar Valley. The settlement was soon known as Frogtown. The population ballooned after the arrival of Johnston’s Army in 1858-59, sent to Utah to suppress the rumored rebellion there. The army established a nearby camp called Camp Floyd, and the population grew to over 7,000, including 3,500 troops (nearly one-third of the entire U.S. Army at that time), teamsters, gamblers, and camp followers of various persuasions. With no rebellion taking place, the troops were recalled in 1861, sent east to fight for the Union with the outbreak of the Civil War.
Frogtown became Fairfield in 1861, named after Amos Fielding, who had participated in establishing the community.
The Stagecoach Inn, located in Fairfield and now a museum, was used by travelers passing through via stage coach, military personnel, and riders on the Pony Express trail.
- Camp Floyd Cemetery
- Camp Floyd Pony Express Stop
- Camp Floyd / Stagecoach Inn State Park
- Carson’s Fort
- Col. Philip St. George Cooke (Historic Marker)
- Fairfield – Camp Floyd – Fort Crittenden (Historic Marker)
- Fairfield Cemetery
- Fairfield School
- Fairfield Stagecoach Inn
- Historic Site in Journalism
- Johnston’s Army Fort
- 4876 U.S.G.S Benchmark