Julius Brooks, one of Utah’s first Jewish immigrants and a prominent merchant constructed this Richardsonian Romanesque building in 1890-1891 was Dallas and Hedges as architects. Brooks intended the building to be six stories high, but halted work at the third floor because of an economic downturn. A variety of small businesses, professional offices and even a hotel occupied Brooks Arcade over the years. By the early 1960s, however, the upper floors stood vacant. The Redevelopment Agency of Salt Lake City purchased Brooks Arcade in 1986 with the goal of finding a new owner to renovate the building.
The building interior was demolished in 2001 and the building was removed from the National Register of historic Places (it was #82004133), now only the historic facade remains.