One story vernacular “rectangular cabin” house type with cable end chimneys and a three opening symmetrical facade. Porch hood is a later addition. Rear extension in a “lean-to” shed style plus several other additions. Structure has moulded cornice and window surrounds.
The original, adobe, portion of this house was built at least as early as 1866
to when the city directory lists James and Joseph Watson in residence there. Joseph Watson received a quit-claim deed to the property from Heber C. Kimball, dated 1867 and recorded in 1872.
Joseph Watson was born in Blagden, Northumberland, England, July 7, 1840. James was born at Low Walker-on-Tyne, June 6, 1833. James was baptized in 1856 and baptized Joseph in 1857. Joseph emigrated to Utah the same year and began work as a mason. His brother, after preaching in England came in 1863 and together they founded Watson Brothers, builders and contractors.
Watson Brothers constructed many of the important buildings of the city, including the Hooper-Eldridge Block, the ZCMI Shoe Factory, and part of the main building of ZCMI. James served as Bishop of the 19th Ward from 1882 until his death in 1889.
Joseph was elected to the city council in 1893 and 1895 but died before he could begin his second term.