Originally probably a vernacular “T” plan house, this single story house with basement was updated during the Victorian period to include an oriel on the front bay in the Italianate style, and ornamental porch elements. – Diana Johnson
This house was built by 1866 when James Watson is listed in residence there. Watson was born June 6, 1833, at Low Walker-on-Tyne. He became a convert to the LDS Church in 1856 and in 1863 after preaching for a number of years, emigrated to Utah. He was a founder of Watson Brothers, masons and contractors. This firm built many major buildings in Salt Lake, including the Hooper Eldredge Block, the ZCMI shoe factory and a part of the main structure of ZCMI. He was bishop of the nineteenth ward in the
1880’s. He and his wife, Mary Gibson Watson, occupied this house until his death in 1893. A cornerstone apparently giving the date of construction has been defaced beyond legibility.
Located at 335 Quince Street in the Capitol Hill Historic District in Salt Lake City, Utah