The 1 1/2 story Thomas Quayle House was moved to its present location in October of 1975. An important extant example of the Carpenter’s Gothic Style, it has been restored for use as the Utah Heritage Foundation Headquarters, and is entirely compatible with the architectural flavor of the neighborhood. The steep gables, corner wood quoins, decorative bargeboard and Eastlakian porch treatment contribute to the Carpenter’s
Gothic character. – Diana Johnson
According “to information provided by the Utah Heritage Foundation, this home was w built about 1884 by Thomas Quayle. His parents were converted to the L.D,S. Church while residing in the Isle of Man. Thomas had been born here in 1835. The family came to America in 1841, settling in Nauvoo. They came to Utah in September, 1847, with the John Taylor company. Thomas and his brother, John went to California to mine for gold.
While in California they became involved in freighting goods from Sacramento to the mines. They continued their freighting business when they returned to Utah. Thomas died June 1920, in Salt Lake. This house was moved to its present site in 1975. It was originally located at 163 West 4th South.