This house was built in 1879 for Robert Bowman and apparently significantly expanded in 1895-1896. Evidence of title, directory, structure, and “1879” set into the front wall of the house support these conclusions. Bowman was one of a number of employees of Watson Brothers, stonemasons, to buy a building site on lot 3 of this block. Bowman was a stonecutter, foreman and engineer for Watson Brothers. He and his wife
Barbara occupied the house until 1904 when it was sold. Little is readily known of Bowman or his wife , a daughter of James Watson his employer.
This is a single story home of asymmetrical plan. Apparently completed in two phases, the oldest part dates from 1879, as indicated by the date plaque in the front gable. This front older bay displays quoins, a molded, bracket cornice and two double hung windows with massive, elaborate Italianate stone headers. A hipped, bay in the northwest corner is part of the Victorian addition of 1895-1896 which includes also an identical hipped bay in the rear. This three-sided hipped bay has large segmental window insets with incised floral motifs and a molded cornice. A central porch and indented entrance area displays Tuscan supports.
Since Robert Bowman was employed as a stonemason, it is conceivable that the masonry headers in the older portion, which are out of proportion for the small scale of the home, were products available to him through his work.