The original owner of this house was William Bernard Dougall Jr. Dougall was born o May 7, 1869 and died April 10, 1906. Dougall lived most of his life in Salt Lake with his parents, William B. Dougall St and Maria Young Dougall, at 49 North State Street (now demolished). His mother was a daughter of LDS church president Brigham Young.
Although a building permit was not found, research indicates that the house was built about 1904. City directories list Mr. Dougall as the resident here in 1906 which is the year he died. During his life Dougall had been manager of the Deseret Telegraph Co., a staff member at the Deseret News, editor of the Millennial Star and at the time of his death he was in the insurance business. Dougall was survived by his wife, Harriet Richards Dougall, the daughter of Morgan Dougall, and his three children Maria, Grant and Alice.
Mrs. Dougall and her children continued to live here through 1931 when city directories list a second resident at this address, Mr. Joseph E. Richards. Apparently the house was remodeled to include an apartment at this time. In 1935 Mr. George H. Slink is listed as resident. Slink, a cobbler at Broadway Shoe Rebuilders, married Dougall1 s daughter Alice. By 1940 Maria Dougall is listed as resident owner. SLC tax records show Grant Dougall “et al” as the current owners indicating that the house has been in the same nuclear family since its construction at the beginning of the century.
This is a 1 1/2 story Victorian home with prominent exterior wood decorations. The main block of the house is hip roofed with a front dormer window that has an elaborate swans-neck pediment and carving. There is also a front gable over a threesided brick bay window. The gable has modillions, dentil molding, and an oval window, The larger front windows in the bay or under the porch both have leaded glass transoms. There is a small gable with a carved panel on the porch. The porch cornice has dentil
molding and brackets beneath the gable. It is supported by paired ionic columns on posts.
Located at 145 North State Street in the Capitol Hill Historic District in Salt Lake City, Utah
Pingback: Capitol Hill Historic District | JacobBarlow.com