Charles C. and Millicent Godbe Brooks purchased this property from Charles and Emma o Smith in 1888. Two years later a 2 1/2 story, 16 room, brick and stone home was erected at a cost of $10,000. Mr. Brooks, born in 1851 in New York, came west to Utah to practice his skills as a mining engineer. In Salt Lake he formed a partnership with R.H. Browre who also happened to be a close friend of Senator Thomas Kearns.

Charles’ association with many of the more successful mining enterprises
in Utah brought Brooks into contact with the progressive elements of the city. His skills were recognized and employed. He was appointed the United States Deputy Mineral Surveyor for Utah. From 1888 to 1891 he was employed to survey the county’s sewer system. The next two years were spent as County Surveyor and from 1905 to 1912 Charles sat on the S.L. County Board of Public Works. He died in Salt Lake in 1918.

Millicent Godbe Brooks was the daughter of William Godbe, the founder of the Godbeite movement in Mormonism, and Mary Hampton Godbe who lived with the Brooks first at 204 North Main and then at 214 North State. Anthony H. Godbe, a brother of Millicent, also lived at both addresses. In 1897 the Brooks moved up the hill to 214 after selling the home to Glen and Libbie Miller. Glen was the United States Marshall in Utah.

Joseph Geoghegan, a successful merchandise broker and purchasing agent for U&I and Amalgamated Sugar, bought the home in 1904. As a prominent Republican he was chosen to serve as Adjutant General under Governor John C. Cutler. He died in 1916. Elizabeth Vidovich Geoghegan continued to live in the home until the early 1930’s when she had it remodeled into apartments. In 1935 the rental complex was sold to Wilford Brimley who sold it in 1937 to Julian V. Siegal. The latter maintained ownership through 1940.

This is a three and one half story Queen Anne which is asymmetrically designed. The house has a cross gable main floor. The ground floor is made of stone, the second floor is of brick, and the upper levels are of frame and shingles. The porch is classically detailed and a circular tower is located on the southwest corner of the building. There are eclectic details in the upper levels and turnings and moldings in the balcony area.

Located at 204 North State Street in the Capitol Hill Historic District in Salt Lake City, Utah