Evidence of title and directory suggests a part of this house was built about
H 1873-1878 by Henry Arnold. Arnold was born in 1822 in Kinchester, Herefordshire, England to Henry Arnold and Elizabeth Monk. A convert to the LDS Church in 1841, he preached in England before emigrating to the United States in 1848. He saw military service in Utah in 1853 and 1857 and in 1865 became superintendent of the Warm Spring Bath house, a post he held for ten years. In the late 1870’s and 1880’s he worked as a baker, becoming proprietor of the Globe Baking and Cracker Factory. He held
many church office, among them counsellor to three bishops of the nineteenth ward. He married Elizabeth Green and contracted at least one other marriage. After Arnolds death in 1888 the southwest quarter of lot 9, and about half the house passed to Emma Rich; the northwest quarter passed to Luella Rich. In 1896 Emma Rich acquired a strip of land along the south side of her quarter. In 1900 Mary E. Burns bought the NW 1/4 which she transferred to her son, John B. Burns, Jr., in 1914. A. P. Anderson
acquired the SW 1/4 in the same year. These owners held the property through 1940.
Sanborn maps and field research indicate that this large house was built before 1898 and in three parts. Title and directory research date it between 1873-1878. It is one of the most unusual homes in the Capitol Hill district because of the arrangement of parts. The structure is 1 1/2 stories tall. In the southwest is a frame portion with ship lap siding. It has a gable roof and gable dormers, and is fronted by a hipped roof porch supported by rectangular columns. To the rear of this part is a hipped roof wing built of stone and a frame lean-to. The middle stone portion of the home has a gable roof and chimney located on the gable street end. Ashlar quoins mark the corners of this section. Adjoining the, center section is another stone wing in the north. The street elevations of both these stone parts are flush. The
northern wing has a gable roof and two gabled dormers containing paired pointed arch windows. An entrance is located in this wing. The home is presently in a deteriorated state but appears to be structurally sound.