The Daniel C. Jackling Mansion located at 731 East South Temple in the South Temple Historic District in Salt Lake City, Utah.
This is a brick building, two stories high, with an attic with white trim. There are three bays on the first floor, seven on the second and one in the attic. The two windows on the main floor have large rectangular panes of glass on the bottom and panels of leaded glass above. The front porch is supported by eight columns with composite capitols. The front yard is enclosed by a low iron fence of great decorative appeal. The interior contains some original oak paneling, and original hardwood floors have been covered with carpeting. The rooms on the first floor are paneled in maple, oak and fir. There are also three original fireplaces on the first floor. Upstairs there are four main rooms and two servants rooms, all have been remodeled. The third floor has a small storage room and another large room lighted by two windows.
This is significant historically because it was the home of Daniel Jackling, an early pioneer in the area of copper mining in Utah. Architecturally, it is significant because it was designed by Walter E. Ware, a well known Utah architect. Ware came to Utah in 1889 and was immediately recognized as one of the leading architects in the territory. Early in his career he designed the First Presbyterian Church and the Commercial Club in Salt Lake City. In 1901 he formed a partnership with Alberto O. Treganza which lasted 25 years. Together, they built numerous structures including the Ladies Literary Club on this street and the Carnegie Library in Mt. Pleasant, Utah. Their later works were influenced by the Prairie School. The partnership was dissolved in 1926 and Ware retired in 1949. He died in Salt Lake City in April, 1951.
This house was built in 1898 by William Sherman $ an oil field engineer. It was purchased by Daniel Jackling in 1904. Mr. Jackling was a partner of Col. Enos Wall in the development of Utah Copper Company. Mr. Jackling developed the theory for profitably mass-mining and processing copper concentrates from low-grade ore, and was responsible for obtaining the initial financial backing for Utah Copper Company, in 1978 it was being used as attorneys offices.
Pingback: South Temple Historic District | JacobBarlow.com