The Murphy Building/Windsor Hotel
This building was constructed circa. 1887 and was one of the earliest buildings built on the 100 block of 25th Street. The property was owned by George W. Murphy, a veteran of the Civil War who migrated west in 1869. Murphy also owned the Senate Saloon (111-113 25th Street) and the Murphy Block (101-103 25th Street), located to the east and west of this building. The family owned these buildings and operated businesses out of them for over fifty years.
Mr. Murphy operated a cigar and tobacco shop on the main floor with the Reno Hotel on the second floor during the late 1880s and 1890s. Other businesses included:
- Fred A. Smith’s Grocery, Confectionery and Curio Shop (1895-1932)
- George W. Murphy’s Grocery Store (1903-1913)
- The Windsor Hotel (1899-1913)
- WPA Community Center and Carnegie Free Library (1936-1938)
This building is an example of Commercial Vernacular architecture in a two-story two-part block structure. The second story of the building has give segmentally arched window openings and the brick corbeled cornice line ties this structure to the building located to the west.