The building represents Beaver’s finest example of commercial architecture. Its a very large, two-story brick building with a flat roof and a series of rhythmical windows on the two facades that face the street.
On the Main Street façade the ground floor has been altered with flaggstone siding. The windows too have been changed, but their original size has not been altered. The second story of this façade remains in its original condition. The cornice is both elaborate brick and wood work and there is a date plaque that reads “1893”. Also on this façade are three large pilasters with six huge windows arranged around them with bilateral symmetry.
On the Center Street façade, there have been no alterations. It displays eight rhythmic bays that have round arches of brickwork on top. There are also several tie-rods evident on this façade and most are a five pointed star in a circle.
The building rests upon a black rock foundation and is structurally very sound. The interior has been changed considerably, and is currently used as a motel, two shops and apartments. All the ceilings were originally fourteen feet tall, and the doors display transom windows and wide moldings.
Built in 1893, located at 11 North Main Street in Beaver, Utah
The Mansfield, Murdock & Company store building, constructed in 1893, represents Beaver’s largest business-commercial structure. The combination S general and department store was owned by E. M. Mansfield and John Riggs
x Murdock, prominent Beaver residents. In addition to general merchandise, the business block also housed the State Bank of Beaver County, the community’s main banking center, and the Mansfield Hotel. Thus, in the commercial history
of Beaver City, as the county seat of Beaver County, the Mansfield, Murdock & Company building functioned as a central entity, both in the local and county context.
The Mansfield, Murdock & Company store was built in 1893 as a general merchandise establishment to serve many of the basic commercial needs of the community and region. It was originally owned by John Riggs Murdock and his brother-in-law, E. M. Mansfield. Murdock was a central figure in the total development of Beaver, serving also as the Beaver Stake President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) the local ecclesiastical leader.
The store carried everything from clothing to farm machinery, and also housed the State Bank of Beaver County. Sometime between 1904 and 1914 the State Bank of Beaver County and the First National Bank of Beaver were organized. Prior to that time, Beaver’s main banking point was Richfield, some 65 miles northeast. The former bank was listed with capital stock at $40,000 and after 1924 survived as the city’s only banking establishment.
Between 1915 and 1918, the building also became the Mansfield (later the Mansfield Hotel), located on the second floor. A section just west of the bank functioned as the hotel parlor. With the Hotel Low, located on the same block, the Mansfield grew during the “revitalized” period of Beaver’s increased use as a tourist and traveler stop.
Thus, in the above context, the Mansfield, Murdock & Company building functioned as an important structure in Beaver’s commercial history, with Beaver, in turn, functioning as an important regional commercial center. The building was located on what many considered the most valuable commercial lot in town, and the structure’s prestigious size and design stand out in the city’s commercial district. It remains as the main representative of Beaver’s key commercial block.