Donner-Reed Memorial Museum
This property was within the walls of the Willow Creek Fort, (Grantsville), which was built shortly after the first white settlers arrived. The main building was erected in 1852. J. Reuben Clark II purchased the property in later years and restored the building. The site was eventually donated to Grantsville City for use as a museum. The log cabin and blacksmith shop were placed here in later years.
This museum is named for the Donner-Reed Party. In 1846 they stopped at nearby Twenty Wells to let their animals rest and gain strength before continuing their ill fated trip. While crossing the Salt Desert they lost many wagons and other belongings on the mud flats east of Pilot Mountain. The hardships suffered in Utah delayed their journey. Winter overtook them in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, resulting in their well known catastrophe. Some to the articles left by the Donner-Reed Party are displayed in this museum, along with other pioneer and Indian relics.
This monument contains cornerstones and markers from early Grantsville Buildings. Refurbishment of the area began July 1975 and was completed July 1976. Funds were from Utah American Revolution Bicentennial Commission and Grantsville City Corporation.
There are a lot of historic markers outside the museum, individual pages for them are here:
- The Cherokee Trail
- Donner-Reed Memorial Museum
- Emigrant Graves
- Twenty Wells
- Grantsville Fort (across the street)
The building was originally erected by the Grantsville Branch,
Below is the first jail in Grantsville was built in 1863. This cage was originally housed inside of a rock building on the north side of the current museum.
This cabin was erected by settlers in approximately 1853 and was originally located two blocks east of this site on the “Jeffries Property.”
This pioneer blacksmith shop was originally located about two blocks east of this site. The blacksmith was so important in pioneer life that many communities offered him a parcel of land to set up shop for an agreed length of time.
The roof on this blacksmith shop was refurbished by Jordan Mills as his Eagle Scout Project in 2010.
Flag Pole Eagle Project by Danny Adams in May 2006