This page is documenting the exterior of the museum, see the link below to see the interior.
The museum consists of 2 main buildings: the 115+ year old, former school, Heritage building which contains historical collections and the works of world renown sculptor Dr. Avard T Fairbanks, and the more contemporary Horizon building which houses regional art, the Colombian Mammoth (named Spirit), historical displays, Clark Bronson bronze collection and other services.(*)
The Kanosh Tithing Office, now the Sally Kanosh Camp D.U.P. Museum.
Built in 1870, the Kanosh Tithing Office is historically significant as one of 28 well preserved tithing buildings in Utah that were part of the successful tithing system of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS or Mormon church) between the 1850s and about 1910. Tithing lots, which usually included an office and several auxiliary structures, were facilities for collecting, storing, and distributing the farm products that were donated as tithing by church members in the cash-poor agricultural communities throughout the state. Tithing offices were a vital part of almost every Mormon community, serving as local centers of trade, welfare assistance, and economic activity. They were also important as the basic units of the church-wide tithing network that was centered in Salt Lake City. In addition, the Kanosh Tithing Office is architecturally significant as one of eight extant examples of Utah’s tithing offices which were designed in the Greek Revival style. It is one of seven of those buildings which is a temple-form building. Of those seven temple-form buildings, it is one of the three best preserved examples of the type. The other two examples include the tithing offices at Escalante and Paradise. The temple-form building originated in the Greek Revival period of American building,’ and typically has its short end to the street and a pedimented gable end in imitation of monumental classical buildings. The temple-form building was the preferred building type for early religious buildings in Utah, having been brought to the area by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints after 1847. 3 Very few unaltered, well preserved examples of this building type are presently extant in Utah.
Under the direction of Culbert King, bishop of the Kanosh Ward, the Kanosh Tithing Office was built in 1870 to serve as the center for the collection and distribution of “in kind” tithing contributions from members of the Kanosh Ward of the LDS church. Typical of most other Utah towns during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Kanosh was a cash-poor agricultural community, therefore tithing contributions were usually farm products, such as crops, dairy products, and livestock. By at least the 1920s, however, cash was much more plentiful and was used for tithing donations instead of the “in kind” commodities. Since the building was no longer needed for its original use, it was either left vacant or used as a meeting place by auxiliary organizations of the church for a number of years. Even when serving as a tithing office, the building was used as the first meeting place of the ward’s Mutual Improvement Association, the organization for the teenagers.
In 1952, the church granted the building to the local chapter of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers, which has used it as a meeting place and relic hall up to the present.
Located at 191 North Main St in Manti, Utah this is one of the oldest remaining city hall buildings in the state of Utah.
Designed by A.E. Merriam this building was constructed between 1873-1882. It is an excellent example of the Italianate style rarely found outside Salt Lake City. Fine Italianate details such as box-like massing, low-pitched hipped roof, columned portico and decorative bracketed eaves make it the only surviving example of the style in public structure in Sanpete County.
The plan has four equal size rooms on each floor, with a central passageway staircase. Under the stucco lies finely tooled limestone. It is hoped that the exterior will one day be restored to its historic appearance. The construction costs total about $1,100.
The building is now used as a Manti Museum, Social Hall, and office of Sanpete County Economic Development & Travel and Tourism and houses a visitor’s information center.
The Lehi Memorial Building / Hutchings Museum outside the Lehi Legacy Center.
The Utah Historic Site plaque says:
W.A. Knight first raised the idea of a Lehi Soldier’s, Sailor’s and Marine’s Memorial Building five weeks after Armistice Day (11 November 1918). Architects Walter E. Ware and Alberto O. Treganza, under the direction of Mayor Sydney Gilchrist, designed the three section structure to incorporate a memorial hall (center), a City Hall (south) and a Carnage Library (north). The Library was dedicated on 30 December 1921 during Mayor James H. Gardner’s administration. The remainder of the building was completed during the administration of Mayor Joseph S. Broadbend. Dedication services for the $55,000 center, the first municipal facility in America erected to the memory of World War I Veterans, were held on Memorial Day, 31 May 1926. Since then the building has hosted numerous civic, community and religious functions including the W.P.A., Alpine School District, the Lehi Second Ward, the Lehi Fifth Ward, American Red Cross, Alpine Soil Conservation District, the Ground Observation Corps, the National Rifle Association, the Lehi Junior Wildlife Association, the Lehi National Guard, the Lehi Senior Citizens Center, and Lehi American Legion Post 19. The municipal part of the building has housed City Hall, two jails, a fire station, the Lehi Ambulance Association, and the Lehi Police Department. The Memorial Building, now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is currently being restored as the future home of the John Hutchings Museum.
The Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum is located at Brigham Young University. The museum was opened to the public in 1978, is accredited by the American Association of Museums and maintains membership in the Natural Science Collections Alliance. Research collections of vascular and non vascular plants, invertebrate and vertebrate animals are maintained and made available to research scientists and educators. Public exhibits and educational programs are offered. Admission is free.
Madame Tussauds Las Vegas is a wax museum located in the Las Vegas Strip at The VenetianLas Vegas casino. The attraction opened in 1999, becoming the first Madame Tussauds venue to open in the United States. It features over 100 wax figures of famous celebrities, film and TV characters, athletes, musicians and Marvel superheroes, as well a 4D movie theatre. Subsequent Madame Tussauds venues opened in the U.S in New York City in 2000, Washington D.C. in 2007, and Hollywood, California in 2009.