2025 E Sahara Ave, Las Vegas, Nevada
This location was a Women’s Hospital, I was born here. The hospital closed sometime in December 1993 or January 1994.
Kyle (Kiel) Ranch
Established by Conrad Kiel in 1875, this was one of the only two major ranches in Las Vegas Valley throughout the 19th century. The Kiel tenure was marked by violence. Neighboring rancher Archibald Stewart was killed in a gunfight here in 1884. Edwin and William Kiel were found murdered on the ranch in October 1900.
The San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad purchased the ranch in 1903 and later sold it to Las Vegas banker John S. Park, who built the elegant white mansion.
Subsequent owners included Edwin Taylor (1924-39), whose cowboy ranch hands competed in national rodeos, and Edwin Losee (1939-58), who developed the Boulderado Dude Ranch here, a popular residence for divorce seekers.
In the late 1950’s, business declined and the ranch was sold. In 1976, 26 acres of the original ranch were purchased jointly by the City of North Las Vegas and its Bicentennial Committee as a historic project.
Nevada State Historic Marker # 224
MGM Grand Las Vegas
The MGM Grand Las Vegas (formerly Marina and MGM-Marina) is a hotel and casino located on the Las Vegas Strip in Paradise, Nevada. The MGM Grand is the largest single hotel in the United States with 6,852 rooms. It is also the third-largest hotel complex in the world by number of rooms and second-largest hotel resort complex in the United States behind the combined The Venetian and The Palazzo. When it opened in 1993, the MGM Grand was the largest hotel complex in the world.
Famous for the huge lion outside (The Largest Bronze Sculpture in the western hemisphere) the MGM is one of the hotel/casinos on the Las Vegas Strip.
Located at Main Street and Fremont Street is the Plaza, prior to the construction of the casino, part of the site was used for the first train station in Las Vegas, a Spanish style depot, constructed in 1906. It was replaced in 1940 with a Streamline Moderne train station designed by H. L. Gogerty, with a Union Pacific shield, and “Streamliners & Challangers” neon sign. This station was demolished in 1970 and replaced by the Union Plaza Hotel, which included a small waiting room to be used as a station for Amtrak trains.
The Golden Gate Hotel & Casino is located at One Fremont Street in Las Vegas, Nevada, in the United States. A part of the Fremont Street Experience, it is the oldest and smallest hotel (106 rooms) on the Fremont Street Experience.
John F. Miller initially opened a temporary tent hotel – the Miller Hotel – on the property in 1905, while he planned to construct a permanent hotel structure, which opened as the Hotel Nevada on January 13, 1906. A casino operated within the hotel until a statewide gambling ban took effect in 1909. In 1931, the property was expanded and renamed as Sal Sagev (“Las Vegas” spelled backwards). The casino reopened that year when gambling in Nevada was legalized again. In 1955, the casino was renamed as the Golden Gate. The entire property was renamed as the Golden Gate Hotel and Casino in 1974. The Golden Gate was known for its cheap shrimp cocktails, served from 1959 to 2017.
El Portal Theatre
Architect: Charles Alexander MacNelledge
Opened: June 21, 1928
Located on Fremont Street, this building was Las Vegas‘ cultural center for many years. Its 700seat auditorium and elegant Spanish motif lobby were used for films, plays, music recitals, vaudeville shows, high school graduations and other social events.
This was also the first Air-conditioned building in Las Vegas.
Here are a few old photos I found online:
In April 1996, Sheldon Adelson announced plans to create on the property the largest resort on the Strip. This project would be situated on the former Sands property. On November 26, 1996, eight years after it was purchased by the owners of The Interface Group – Adelson, Richard Katzeff, Ted Cutler, Irwin Chafetz and Jordan Shapiro, the Sands Hotel was imploded to make way for The Venetian Resort Hotel Casino. Groundbreaking for the hotel began on April 14, 1997.
The resort opened on May 3, 1999, with flutter of white doves, sounding trumpets and singing gondoliers, with actress Sophia Loren joining The Venetian Chairman and Owner, Sheldon G. Adelson, in dedicating the first motorized gondola. Built at a cost of $1.5 billion, it was one of the most expensive resorts of its kind when it opened.
On June 27, 2003, the 1,013-room Venezia Tower opened. It was built on top of the garage parking lot.
In 2010, it was announced that it will be affiliated with InterContinental Hotels Group.
In October 2011, the Cantor Race & Sportsbook opened, which was the only Las Vegas sportsbook that was open for 24 hours a day. On June 11, 2012, the Venetian opened Carnevale, a summer-long festival that is anchored by a nightly 3-D projection show on the clock tower. In September 2012, The Blue Man Group show closed and relocated to the Monte Carlo, after being at the Venetian for six years.(from Wikipedia)
North Las Vegas is a city in Clark County, Nevada, located in the Las Vegas Valley. As of the 2010 census it had a population of 216,961, with an estimated population of 226,877 in 2013. The city was incorporated on May 16, 1946. It is located in the Las Vegas–Paradise, NV MSA and is the fourth largest city in the state of Nevada.