Tule Springs is one of the few sites in the U.S. where evidence suggest the presence of man before 11,000 B.C.
Scientific evidence shows this area, once covered with sagebrush and bordered with yellow-pine forests, had many springs. These springs were centers of activity for both big game animals and human predators. Evidence found at these fossil springs shows the presence, 14,000 to 11,000 years ago, of several extinct animals; the ground sloth, mammoth, prehistoric horse and American camel. The first Nevada record of the extinct giant condor comes from Tule Springs.
Early man, perhaps living in the valley as early as 13,000 years ago, and definitely present 11,000 years ago, was a hunter of the big game.
Small populations of desert culture people, about 7,000 years ago to the historic period, depended upon vegetable foods and small game for subsistence.
Late Pleistocene geological stratigraphy in few other areas is as complete and well known.
State Historical Marker No.86 (see others on this page) Nevada State Park System Southern Nevada Historical Society
The Morelli House, relocated and restored by the Junior League of Las Vegas and placed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 3rd, 2012. (#11001086)
Located at 861 E. Bridger Ave in Las Vegas, Nevada
The Morelli House is a classic example of Las Vegas, mid-century, residential architecture. It was built in 1959 by the Sands Hotel orchestra leader, Antonio Morelli, and his wife Helen. Originally located at 52 Country Club Lane in the former Desert Inn Country Club Estates, now the Wynn Resort, the modernistic house then featured an open plan that integrated interior and exterior spaces, natural materials, and the latest innovative home appliances. In 2001, the Junior League of Las Vegas related the Morelli House to its present site and completed restoration in 2009.
St. Thomas is an interesting ghost town because it was abandoned two different times. It was settled by Thomas Smith in 1865 and grew to over 500 people but six years later a new survey moved the state line and made it so St. Thomas was in Nevada – Nevada ordered the payment of back taxes which the people could not afford and they left. Others came in and took up living there but in the 1930’s the Hoover Dam was built and raised the water line to cover the town, causing it to be abandoned again. Later the waters receded and the ruins were uncovered.
Established by Conrad Kiel in 1875, this was one of the only two major ranches in Las Vegas Valley throughout the 19th century. The Kiel tenure was marked by violence. Neighboring rancher Archibald Stewart was killed in a gunfight here in 1884. Edwin and William Kiel were found murdered on the ranch in October 1900.
The San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad purchased the ranch in 1903 and later sold it to Las Vegas banker John S. Park, who built the elegant white mansion.
Subsequent owners included Edwin Taylor (1924-39), whose cowboy ranch hands competed in national rodeos, and Edwin Losee (1939-58), who developed the Boulderado Dude Ranch here, a popular residence for divorce seekers.
In the late 1950’s, business declined and the ranch was sold. In 1976, 26 acres of the original ranch were purchased jointly by the City of North Las Vegas and its Bicentennial Committee as a historic project.
A historic marker about Jean, Nevada located in Jean, Nevada.
Founded in 1904 as Goodsprings Junction, a station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad, Jean received its current name in 1905 when the post office was opened. It was named in honor of Jean Fayle, the wife of George Fayle who had built a mercantile business and had the post office in his store.
The town enjoyed some growth with the building of the Yellow Pine Mining Company Railroad from Goodsprings to connect with the railroad here in 1911. By the time the Yellow Pine railroad was torn up in 1930, Jean was a stop for travelers on Highway 91 (today’s I-15).
Peter A. “Pop” Simon created a new motel-store-gas station- casino complex here called Pop’s Oasis in 1947. It was a favorite stop for many and lasted until 1988. In 1987, the Gold Strike Hotel and Gambling Hall opened, and continues to serve the traveling public.
The desire of local Mormon settlers for economic self-sufficiency led to mining by missionaries for lead at Potosi. In 1858, Nathaniel V. Jones was sent to recover ore from the “mountain of lead” 30 miles southwest of the mission at Las Vegas Springs. About 9,000 lbs. were recovered before smelting difficulties forced the remote mine to be abandoned in 1857. Potosi became the first abandoned mine in Nevada.
In 1861, California mining interests reopened the mine, and a smelter and rock cabins for 100 miners made up the camp of Potosi. Even more extensive operations resulted after the transcontinental Salt Lake and San Pedro R.R. (now the union pacific) was built through the county in 1905.
During World War I, Potosi was an important source of zinc.
Stretching for 130 miles across Clark County, this historic horse trail became Nevada’s first route of commerce in 1829 when trade was initiated between Santa Fe and Los Angeles. The trail was later used by the wagons of the “49ers” and Mormon pioneers. Concrete posts marking the trail were erected in 1965.