• About JacobBarlow.com
  • Cemeteries in Utah
  • D.U.P. Markers
  • Doors
  • Exploring Utah Email List
  • Geocaching
  • Historic Marker Map
  • Links
  • Movie/TV Show Filming Locations
  • Oldest in Utah
  • Other Travels
  • Photos Then and Now
  • S.U.P. Markers
  • U.P.T.L.A. Markers
  • Utah Cities and Places.
  • Utah Homes for Sale
  • Utah Treasure Hunt

JacobBarlow.com

~ Exploring with Jacob Barlow

JacobBarlow.com

Tag Archives: Nevada

Brownstone Canyon Archeological District

28 Sunday Sep 2025

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ Leave a comment

Tags

Archeological, Clark County, Nevada, NRHP

Brownstone Canyon Archeological District

The Brownstone Canyon Archeological District was added to the National Register of Historic Places (#82003212) on September 22, 1982.

Tule Springs Archeological Site

27 Saturday Sep 2025

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ Leave a comment

Tags

Archaeological Sites, Clark County, Nevada, NRHP

Tule Springs Archeological Site

Related:

  • Tule Springs (historic marker)

The Tule Springs Archeological Site was added to the National Register of Historic Places (#79001461) on April 20, 1979. It is now the site of Floyd Lamb Park in Las Vegas, Nevada.

BC – Boulder City

26 Monday May 2025

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ Leave a comment

Tags

Boulder City, Hillside Letters, Nevada

BC – Boulder City Hillside Letters

One of the collection of Hillside Letters. This one above Boulder City, Nevada.

Arrowhead Trail – Henderson

27 Thursday Feb 2025

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ Leave a comment

Tags

Arrowhead Trail, Henderson, Nevada, Nevada Historic Markers, Old Spanish Trail

Arrowhead Trail – Henderson

The name, “Arrowhead Trail” likely originated from the former San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake Railroad, which had an arrowhead for a logo. Prior to 1850, New Mexican trading caravans from Santa Fe en route to Los Angeles used this segment of the Old Spanish Trail.

Heading south along this trail toward Bishop Mountain, travelers turned through El Dorado pass, and continued to Nelson, Searchlight, Nipton, Wheaton Springs, and on to San Bernardino.

This section of the trail was popular as an early automobile road (1916-1924) connecting Salt Lake City and Los Angeles. Local communities along the route promoted its construction and the tourism possibilities of Southern Nevada, including the nearby Valley of Fire, Nevada’s first state park.

Nevada State Historic Marker #197, located at Mission Hills Park at Arrowhead Trail between Mission Drive and San Bruno Avenue in Henderson, Nevada.

Hidden Forest Cabin

27 Friday Dec 2024

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ Leave a comment

Tags

Cabins, Clark County, Nevada, NRHP

Hidden Forest Cabin

The Hidden Forest Cabin has been used for various purposes dating back to the early 1900’s. It is known to have been used by bootleggers during prohibition. According to legend the cabin was used as a robber’s hideout. The cabin was also used by prospectors and local ranching operations. The cabin was in fair condition when the Desert national Wildlife Range, then Desert Game Range, was initially staffed in 1938. An area just below the present site was initially, recommended for the refuge headquarters in April 1938. It has been used as an overnight shelter for refuge personnel since that date.

Hidden Forest Cabin is presently located within the proposed Desert Wilderness Area and the Hidden Forest Canyon is a popular area among refuge visitors.

Much of the history surrounding the cabin and the associated area is open to debate. Unsubstantiated stories and legends concerning the area have multiplied over th© past 20 years. Research could probably verify some history that has become exaggerated. This could be documented and utilized for interpretation of this unique cabin.

Hidden Forest Cabin is located north of Las Vegas, Nevada in Clark County at N 36.63132 W 115.20772 and was added to the National Historic Register (#75001106) on February 20, 1975. The text on this page is from the national register’s nomination form.

Sheep Mountain Range Archeological District

27 Friday Dec 2024

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ Leave a comment

Tags

Archeological, Clark County, Nevada, NRHP

Sheep Mountain Range Archeological District

Added to the National Historic Register (#74001145) on December 31, 1974.

Tim Springs Petroglyphs

27 Friday Dec 2024

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ Leave a comment

Tags

Clark County, Nevada, NRHP, Petroglyphs

Tim Springs Petroglyphs

Added to the National Historic Register (#74001142) on December 16, 1974.

Willow Beach Gauging Station

19 Thursday Dec 2024

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ Leave a comment

Tags

Clark County, Nevada, NRHP

Willow Beach Gauging Station

From instagram:
The Willow Beach Gauging Station was constructed after the completion of Hoover Dam to provide data on Colorado River flow downstream of the dam.
The gauging station was constructed on the Nevada side of the river on the vertical wall in Black Canyon.
Originally consisting of two gauging stations and a bucket tramway system for access, this historic structure provides a glimpse of the past at Lake Mead National Recreation Area.
Please enjoy viewing the gauging station from the river, but not not climb or attempt to access the structure – it is both dangerous and could damage a historic structure.

The Willow Beach Gauging Station is located in Clark County, Nevada and was added to the National Register of Historic Places (#86000587) on March 21, 1986.

From the historic register’s nomination form:
The Willow Beach Gauging Station and its ancillary structures were erected to provide data on the flow of the Colorado River downstream from Boulder Dam after its completion in 1935, As such, the Willow Beach Gauging Station is a part of a complex of facilities which relate to the history of construction and operation of a nationally significant dam erected for flood control and irrigation purposes and, secondarily, to supply hydroelectric power. The Willow Beach Gauging Station contributed in its small way to the initial years of operation of this historic dam. It is also of local significance in engineering in its own right as reflected by its construction, hanging from the precipitous, vertical wall of the Black Canyon of the Colorado River, and its difficult access by cable tramway and catwalk hung from the canyon walls.

Reconnaissance to locate the site for a gauging station below the site of the new dam whose construction was just beginning was undertaken in 1931 by District Engineer W.E. Dickinson along with J.C. Hoyt, of the U.S. Geological Survey, and O.G. Patch, of the Bureau of Reclamation. Actual construction under the supervision of J.A. Baumgartner of the U.S. Geological Survey occurred in two phases, from January to July, 1934, and November 1934 to July 1935. Once completed, resident engineers at the gauging station were W.L. Heckler and W. E. Dail. The station operated until October 1939, when it was replaced by a new station closer to the dam (.8 mile downstream)

The Willow Beach Gauging Station, its cable tramway, and its catwalk and trail approach, are located in the steeps-walled Black Canyon of the Colorado River downstream from Boulder Dam, whose operation it served by measuring the flow of the Colorado River in the canyon below the dam. Originally the gauging station consisted of two gauging stations, both on the Nevada (west) side of the Colorado River, connected by bucket tramway cars hanging from cables across the river, which met on the Arizona side a combination of trail, catwalk hung from the wall of the canyon, and a third cable tramway across a side canyon, which extended southward along the Arizona side of the river to a residence and garage for the resident engineers. The residence and garage have been demolished, leaving only the terraced hillside with stone retaining walls on which they once stood. The lower gauging station and downstream tramway across the Colorado River also are gone. The remaining structures which are deemed to possess integrity, include the upstream gauging station, the cable tramway across the river from the gauging station to the trail, the trail along the Arizona side, the deteriorated but intact catwalk along the cliff, the trail south of the catwalk, the cable tramway across the side canyon on the Arizona side, the trail south of the catwalk to the residence site, and the stone retaining walls which mark the site of the residence and garage, which were approximately one and two thirds miles, as a crow flies, upstream from Willow Beach.

The gauging station itself consists of a small, square, shed-roofed metal room hung on a vertical cliff about forty to fifty feet above the surface of the river, whose level varies according to volume of flow. Beneath it, a corrugated pipe about four feet in diameter extends vertically from its floor into the water. The lower two thirds of the pipe above the water, and presumably all below, is connected not only to the cliff by metal supports, but shielded by solid concrete which prevents the water from passing between the pipe and the cliff and tearing it out. Above this concrete diverter, the gauging station is held to the cliff only by metal supports. The metal gauging room has three small £our-lite windows* one next to the cliff on its north side, one on the north or upstream edge of the side which faces across the river, and one on the canyon wall or western edge of the side which faces downstream. On the outer edge of the south wall is a doorway, and along the entire south side of the gauging room is a porch. From that porch, a metal ladder leads upstairs to a flat platform with railing, mounted several feet above the shed roof of the gauging room. Near the canyon wall, another platform is mounted 1 story below the gauging room porch, which allows transfer from a ladder which leads down from that porch to the main ladder which is mounted near the corrugated pipe, and leads down to near the surface of the water* The gauging station may be approached either by boat and ladder from below, or by cable tramway to the platform above. The tramway consists of a flat, shallow rectangular bucket hung by steel supports at each of its four corners from a pair of pulleys, one at each end, suspended from a single cable suspended across the river. From the east (Arizona) terminus of the cable tramway, a combination of trail along the edge of the cliff, a catwalk of wooden planks laid on steel supports driven into the cliff, with a railing of metal supports and metal cable along its outer edge, more trail, another cable tramway across a side canyon similar to the one described, and more trail, leads southward a distance slightly more than a mile to the site of the residence and garage, marked today only by concrete foundations and rubble retaining walls. The cable of a second tramway across the river to the second gauging facility (now gone), is still in place.

Mormon Well Spring

19 Thursday Dec 2024

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ Leave a comment

Tags

Clark County, Nevada, NRHP, Springs

Mormon Well Spring was added to the National Historic Register (#74001143) on December 24, 1974. The text on this page is from the nomination form from when it was added.

The Mormon Well Spring site had been used by the Paiute Indians, a nomadic tribe of southern Nevada, for centuries before white explorers came into the region. The use of this site was seasonal. In the fall the Paiutes. came to the area to collect pine nuts and hunt bighorn sheep. They probably used the spring site as a base camp. Little is known about the use of the site by pre-Columbian cultures.

The spring is the only reliable water source for the surrounding vicinity. of the Desert National Wildlife Range. Therefore the area was used by the early travelers and prospectors during the late 1800’s and early 1900’s A Mr. John Thomas was the first white man to claim the spring’s water for a sawmill, but this project was abandoned before any development was done on the spring.

Beginning in the early 1900’s Mr. Joe Perkins, who then owned the Pickett Ranch in what is now part of the Moapa Indian Reservation, bought the water rights for the spring from Mr. Thomas and began grazing cattle and horses in the Mormon Well area. The cattle had to be moved often as the forage was scarce, but the horses did well and many horses were raised there. Over the years the spring was developed to provide more water for the livestock and the corral was constructed, but little was gained by the efforts.

In 1936 the area became part of the Desert Game Range and grazing was allowed but controlled by the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Bureau of Land Management. In 1966 the area was changed to a Wildlife Range under the sole jurisdiction of the Fish and Wildlife Service. At that time grazing was eliminated and the water became the sole right of the native wildlife again.

Corn Creek Campsite

01 Sunday Dec 2024

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ Leave a comment

Tags

Clark County, Nevada, NRHP

Corn Creek Campsite

Added to the National Historic Register (#75001105) on March 4, 1975.

← Older posts
Newer posts →

Follow Jacob

Follow Jacob

Come wander with me on Youtube.

Blog Stats

  • 2,155,373 hits

Social and Other Links

BarlowLinks.com

Recent Posts

  • Clark County Museum
  • Joseph Standing
  • Lehi Historical Marker Program
  • Draper Historic Park
  • Hope of America – 2025

Archives

Loading Comments...