Seven Magic Mountains
Almost like a fluorescent Stonehenge in the desert near Jean, Nevada (South of Las Vegas along Interstate 15), Seven Magic Mountains is a Land Art installation that draws many for photo opportunities.
“Seven Magic Mountains is an artwork of thresholds and crossings, of balanced marvels and excessive colors, of casting and gathering and the contrary air between the desert and the city lights.” – Ugo Rondinone
This is an example of Land Art, for more info and examples visit this page.
Located at Main Street and Fremont Street is the Plaza, prior to the construction of the casino, part of the site was used for the first train station in Las Vegas, a Spanish style depot, constructed in 1906. It was replaced in 1940 with a Streamline Moderne train station designed by H. L. Gogerty, with a Union Pacific shield, and “Streamliners & Challangers” neon sign. This station was demolished in 1970 and replaced by the Union Plaza Hotel, which included a small waiting room to be used as a station for Amtrak trains.
The Golden Gate Hotel & Casino is located at One Fremont Street in Las Vegas, Nevada, in the United States. A part of the Fremont Street Experience, it is the oldest and smallest hotel (106 rooms) on the Fremont Street Experience.
John F. Miller initially opened a temporary tent hotel – the Miller Hotel – on the property in 1905, while he planned to construct a permanent hotel structure, which opened as the Hotel Nevada on January 13, 1906. A casino operated within the hotel until a statewide gambling ban took effect in 1909. In 1931, the property was expanded and renamed as Sal Sagev (“Las Vegas” spelled backwards). The casino reopened that year when gambling in Nevada was legalized again. In 1955, the casino was renamed as the Golden Gate. The entire property was renamed as the Golden Gate Hotel and Casino in 1974. The Golden Gate was known for its cheap shrimp cocktails, served from 1959 to 2017.
El Portal Theatre
Architect: Charles Alexander MacNelledge
Opened: June 21, 1928
Located on Fremont Street, this building was Las Vegas‘ cultural center for many years. Its 700seat auditorium and elegant Spanish motif lobby were used for films, plays, music recitals, vaudeville shows, high school graduations and other social events.
This was also the first Air-conditioned building in Las Vegas.
Here are a few old photos I found online:
At this location on the Old Spanish Trail you are standing at the midpoint of the infamous jornada el muerte or journey of death. Many travelers regarded the parched landscape as the most difficult stretch of the entire journey. This 55 mile stretch began at Muddy River near Glendale and ended at Las Vegas Springs. It was the longest, driest stretch of the entire trail.
In 1844, John C. Fremont and his party traveled north from Las Vegas Springs. He wrote about it in his journal. “We crossed a gap in the surrounding ridge and the appearance of skeletons of horses very soon warned that we were engaged in another dry jornada, which proved to be the longest we had in all our jounrey — between fifty and sixty miles without a drop of water… Hourly expecting to find water, we continued to press on until towards midnight, when, after a hard and uninterrupted march of sixteen hours, our wild mules began running ahead; and in a mile or two we came to a bold running stream…”
In April 1996, Sheldon Adelson announced plans to create on the property the largest resort on the Strip. This project would be situated on the former Sands property. On November 26, 1996, eight years after it was purchased by the owners of The Interface Group – Adelson, Richard Katzeff, Ted Cutler, Irwin Chafetz and Jordan Shapiro, the Sands Hotel was imploded to make way for The Venetian Resort Hotel Casino. Groundbreaking for the hotel began on April 14, 1997.
The resort opened on May 3, 1999, with flutter of white doves, sounding trumpets and singing gondoliers, with actress Sophia Loren joining The Venetian Chairman and Owner, Sheldon G. Adelson, in dedicating the first motorized gondola. Built at a cost of $1.5 billion, it was one of the most expensive resorts of its kind when it opened.
On June 27, 2003, the 1,013-room Venezia Tower opened. It was built on top of the garage parking lot.
In 2010, it was announced that it will be affiliated with InterContinental Hotels Group.
In October 2011, the Cantor Race & Sportsbook opened, which was the only Las Vegas sportsbook that was open for 24 hours a day. On June 11, 2012, the Venetian opened Carnevale, a summer-long festival that is anchored by a nightly 3-D projection show on the clock tower. In September 2012, The Blue Man Group show closed and relocated to the Monte Carlo, after being at the Venetian for six years.(from Wikipedia)
North Las Vegas is a city in Clark County, Nevada, located in the Las Vegas Valley. As of the 2010 census it had a population of 216,961, with an estimated population of 226,877 in 2013. The city was incorporated on May 16, 1946. It is located in the Las Vegas–Paradise, NV MSA and is the fourth largest city in the state of Nevada.
Madame Tussauds Las Vegas is a wax museum located in the Las Vegas Strip at The Venetian Las Vegas casino. The attraction opened in 1999, becoming the first Madame Tussauds venue to open in the United States. It features over 100 wax figures of famous celebrities, film and TV characters, athletes, musicians and Marvel superheroes, as well a 4D movie theatre. Subsequent Madame Tussauds venues opened in the U.S in New York City in 2000, Washington D.C. in 2007, and Hollywood, California in 2009.