In 1855 Pres. Brigham Young appointed a company of men under the leadership of William Bringhurst to establish a colony at Las Vegas. The company left Salt Lake May 10 and arrived at Las Vegas June 14, 1855 and camped near this site. William Bringhurst was appointed President. Wm. S. Covert and Ira S. Miles, counselors. Sunday, June 17 they built a bowery and held their first religious services. The next day they began to build the fort, 150 feet square, with walls 14 feet high, 2 feet wide at base and 1 foot at top.