The Star Theater was built in 1923-24 for the Georgedes brothers: Pete, Angelo, Charlie, George and Harry. Natives of the Greek island of Mytelene, the Georgedes brothers immigrated to the United States and by the early 1920’s had become successful businessmen. The theater was designed by architect J. A. Headland of Salt Lake City. The architectural features, with Corinthian columns and second story masks representing figures from Greek Theater, reflect the Greek heritage of the original owners. In 1964, the building was acquired by Duane and LaVern Steele, and later acquired by Curtis Steele and Scott Sjostrom in 1985.
Price Community Methodist Church Built in 1899, rededicated 100 years later in 1999. Grand Lodge F. & A. M. in Utah C. F. Jennings Commandry #6 Carbon Lodge #16 Joppa Lodge #26 10 North 200 East in Price, Utah
When coal mining started in the Bookcliff and Wasatch Plateau back in the late 1800’s many miners from different ethnic groups from America and countries from around the world came to Carbon County to mine the coal to provide for their families, heating of the homes, the making of steel, the production of electricity and other products.
These miners were exposed to cold, wet harsh conditions, bad top and ribs, explosive and poisonous gases, confined conditions with mining machinery and coal dust.
This memorial is dedicated to all miners who paid the ultimate sacrifice with their lives and to all miners whose lives were shortened by crippling injuries, natural causes from from conditions and miners pneumoconiosis.
This memorial is located at 2 North 100 East in Price, Utah.
We hold in sacred memory those sturdy and brave pioneer women, who left their homes in the Eastern United States or sailed from the foreign lands; that trekked across hills, plains, and mountains, forded streams and rivers, birthed and buried loved ones along the trail. Others followed, with faith in every footstep, arriving in Price River Valley. Contributing their ethnic traditions and religious beliefs; each endured hardship to conquer this desert, make a home, provide for their posterity and contribute to the settlement.
The women hoed and helped husbands, fathers, sons and daughters to prepare the soil and plant. They prayed for sun and rain, in turn; fought off crickets, grasshoppers or prairie fires in order to save their crops. They harvested, gleaned, and ground wheat on gristmill stones, lovingly shaped loaves of bread and baked in earthen ovens. They blessed and broke break, together, as families and friends.
In honor of these pioneer women’s contributions, in June of 1928, Price’s Mayor, W.F. Olson, deeded DUP land for the Pioneer Evergreen Park. Price Company Daughters of Utah Pioneers, their families, and Boy Scouts of America cleared the area and prepared for the monument and statue to be erected. Local artist, Dean Fausett, created an original statue of a pioneer woman in a walking position, dressed in a long dress with a bonnet hanging down her back, and a sack of grain over her left arm, to adorn the top of a rock cairn built by Dan Morley. The dedicatory prayer for the original monument was offered by Bishop George Jorgensen, September 7, 1931. Years later, the cement statue and bronze makers disappeared.
In 2009, a search began to locate the monument’s history. DUP minutes revealed that the original statue was modeled after Florence Virginia Horsley Jorgensen. News articles and photographs were provided to Gary Prazen, a local sculptor, to recreate the replica in enduring bronze. Richard Morley, repaired the original rock monument.
Price City Centennial Year Celebration of 2011 marks the rededication of Price Company Daughters of Utah Pioneer’s efforts to restore “Pioneer Women” to honor all women residing in this multinational community, united in their preservation of the past and dedicated to prepare for Price’s future.
Carbonville was one of the very first settlement sites in what became Carbon County. Caleb Rhoades built a dugout here in 1877, before moving on to found Price in 1879. Later called “Rhoades Meadow”, the place had plenty of water, but of poor quality.
The village grew slowly, with most immigrants preferring the more developed areas of Price and Spring Glen. Carbonville did experience rapid growth in the industrial and housing boom years after World War II. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints organized the first ward here in the late 1940s, and a second one in the 1950s.
Carbon College was formed on February 20, 1937 by the State of Utah and classes began in October 1938 with approximately 100 students. The newly formed college faced financial difficulties in 1953 when a budget-cutting measure was proposed to dismantle the college and sell the property. The issue went to the ballot during the election of 1954 with 56,000 petition signatures and a subsequent 78% of the vote to reject such a measure.
In 1959, the college was joined with the University of Utah and acted as a branch of the University for 10 years. During the partnership, the campus grew significantly and the college became known as College of Eastern Utah (CEU). During the 1960s, CEU added several new buildings including the Geary Theater, Music Building, Science Center, and Library. In 1969, the Utah System of Higher Education was created ending the relationship between the University of Utah and CEU.
During the 1970s, CEU began to focus on the mission of being a vocational-technical school for the community. Degrees were expanded to include welding, automotive mechanics, machine shop, cosmetology, diesel mechanics, and a registered nursing program. CEU expanded courses to be taught at the San Juan Center. After the start of the 21st century, courses and enrollment began to climb to more than 2,000 students enrolled in more than 400 courses.
In 2010, the College of Eastern Utah merged with Utah State University creating Utah State University Eastern (USU Eastern). Shortly after the merger, Dr. Joe Peterson, a former vice president of instruction at Salt Lake Community College, became the school’s first chancellor, reporting directly to USU president Stan L. Albrecht.
Wellington is a city in Carbon County, Utah, United States. The population was 1,676 at the 2010 census. The community was settled in 1878 by a band of thirteen Mormons led by Jefferson Tidwell. The town was named for Justus Wellington Seeley, Jr., of the Emery County Court. Many residents commute to nearby Price for their jobs, or work in one of the various coal mines in the area.
Price, the county seat of Carbon County, is the largest city in the county and is located in the Price River Valley of the Colorado Plateau province of Utah. It is believed that Price was named after LDS Bishop William Price of Goshen, Utah, who explored the region in 1869. The area was originally a part of Sanpete County, and then was included in Emery County when it was created in 1880. Price was organized on 14 July 1892 while it was still a part of Emery County.
Caleb Baldwin Rhoades and Abraham Powell, trappers from Salem, Utah, were the first recorded settlers in the Price River Valley. They arrived in October 1877 and built a cabin in the northwest corner of what is now Price. The two returned to Salem when the trapping season was over. Their talk aroused interest in the area among their friends and families, and they soon convinced a group join them in relocating in the Price River Valley. However, Abraham Powell never returned to Price as he was killed by a bear on 7 December 1878 while hunting in the Nebo Mountains.
On 21 January 1879 Caleb Rhoades returned to the valley with two brothers, Frederick Empire Grames and Charles W. Grames. The men helped each other build homes for their families. Later that year, they were joined by their families and others, most coming from Utah County.(*)
Helper is located approximately 120 miles southeast of Salt Lake City in Carbon County. Known as the “Hub of Carbon County,” and situated seven miles north of Price, the county seat, Helper has always reflected an ethnically diverse population, with southern and eastern European groups rising to positions of prominence within the community.
The initial settlement of the Helper area commenced in the early 1880s with the arrival of Teancum Pratt and his plural wives Annie and Sarah. However, only after the arrival of the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railway in 1881-82 did Helper begin to develop as a population center. Pratt also mined coal, supplying the residences throughout the fledgling town.
By 1887 the D&RGW had erected some twenty-seven frame residences, with more built later in the year. This was done in anticipation of making Helper a freight terminal upon the changing of the line from narrow to standard gauge, which began in 1889. Here, “helper” locomotives would stand in readiness to aid trains traveling up the steep grade to Soldier Summit, thus the name Helper.
The Fraternal Organizations of Spring Glen and Helper established this central cemetery in early 1930. Low or no-cost burial places became necessary when members of the lodges, as well as others, died here while their families remained in the Old Country. Most lost their lives in coal mine accidents or due to occupational disease and could not afford to be sent overseas to be buried with their families. Also, many were bachelors with no one to see to their burials at all. Members of the Fraternal Lodges saw to the needs of these lodge members and many others by making this exceptional overlook into a beautiful resting place in their honor. This land was acquired for this sole purpose from the Ku Klux Klan. Carbon County Clan No. 4, and was named the Austrian Lodge Cemetery, by which it is still known today.