On this site was located the Carbon Tabernacle, a landmark and center place of worship from 1914 to 1961 for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
For 47 years the Tabernacle served as the Carbon and North Carbon Stake Center, the ward meetinghouse for Price First and Second Wards and the scene of many civic, political, graduations and recreational programs.
With the completion of the basement on March 14, 1914, the quarterly two-day conference for Carbon Stake was held. The last meeting was held June 4, 1961.
Designed by Miles E. Miller, a young Salt Lake City architect, at an estimated cost of $35,000. Ground breaking for the Tabernacle took place August 28, 1911. The dimensions of the two-story structure were a hundred-fifteen feet long, sixty-six feet wide and thirty-two feet high, with a tower at the northwest corner. The foundation was of reinforced concrete, the walls were of white enamel pressed cement bricks layed with black mortar and trimmed with white stone. On the main floor was a large auditorium furnished with oak pews to seat a thousand persons. It housed one of the largest and best toned pipe organs in the state. At the north of the auditorium was a large Relief Society room with adjoining classrooms. On the second floor was a balcony that oversaw the main meeting hall, five classrooms and two other classrooms in the tower. In the basement was a large amusement hall, dance floor, stage, dressing rooms and baptismal font.
After twelve years of construction, and at a final cost of $100,046.62, the building was dedicated July 1, 1923, a tribute to the contributions of labor and dollars of the L.D.S. people and their friends of Carbon County.
This historic marker is (along with the “Price River Valley – Its Early Beginnings” marker on the back side of it) located in the plaza between the Coal Miners’ Memorial, the library, and the Prehistoric Museum at approximately 139 East Main Street in Price, Utah.